19-year-old male agitated and confused with a reduced GCS (12). He is pyrexial with a nonspecific history of recent foreign travel. His blood results showed hyponatraemia and abnormal LFTs. In addition, he was found to have a left sided hemiparesis, bulbar palsy and 7th nerve palsy.
MRI brain with contrast
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Findings: There are multiple small ring enhancing lesions demonstrated predominantly in the posterior fossa, with at least eight lesions demonstrated in the cerebellum, two lesions in the pons and one lesion left inferomedial temporal lobe. In addition, there are multiple areas of subcortical enhancement throughout both cerebral hemispheres. None of these lesions show restricted diffusion.
There are large lesions which are not-enhancing, hypointense on T1 and hyperintense on T2/FLAIR, which show restricted diffusion in both corona radiata and the posterior limb of the left internal capsule.
Incidental empty sella.
In view of positive AAFB on lumbar puncture: Multiple tuberculomas in the posterior fossa, brainstem and inferomedial left temporal lobe. Evidence of subcortical enhancement elsewhere. Restricted diffusion demonstrated in the deep white matter bilaterally in keeping with ischemia secondary to TB arteritis.
The combination of radiological and microbiological findings lead to the diagnosis of CNS tuberculosis with multiple tuberculomas and arteritis. The patient was started on a 1-year course of antibiotics (Rifampin, Isoniazid and Ciprofloxacin). Repeat MRI showed the old infarcts and complete resolution of the tuberculomas.
- Burrill J, Williams CJ, Bain G et-al. Tuberculosis: a radiologic review. Radiographics. 2007;27 (5): 1255-73. Radiographics (full text) - doi:10.1148/rg.275065176 - Pubmed citation
- Garg RK. Tuberculosis of the central nervous system. Postgrad Med J. 1999;75 (881): 133-40. doi:10.1136/pgmj.75.881.133 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- Fieschi C, Rasura M, Anzini A et-al. Central nervous system vasculitis. J. Neurol. Sci. 1998;153 (2): 159-71. Pubmed citation
1 article features images from this case
23 public playlist includes this case
- GF17 - H&N 2
- RANZCR 2018 practice set 3 - Neuro
- educational cases
- CNS & SPINE 101
- JS Neuro 1
- SAY NEURO Brain and Intracranial: 2. Infection
- CNS Infection
- MRI brain
- Licence ideas
- RANZCR 2018 practice set 14 - Neuro
- Neuro16 - CNS infectious diseases
- Neuro - HIV