Congenital hypoplasia of the internal carotid artery
Citation, DOI & case data
Incidental finding in the workup of cerebral hemorrhagic venous infarction.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
MRA shows the following:
- markedly hypoplastic left internal carotid artery supplying the left ophthalmic artery
- hypoplastic/aplastic A1 segment of the left ACA
- the left posterior cerebral artery supplies the left middle cerebral artery via a large posterior communicating artery
- normal appearance of the anterior and middle cerebral arteries
- normal appearance of vertebrobasilar and posterior cerebral arteries
Here is a case of congenital hypoplasia of the internal carotid artery, one of the forms of congenital absence of the internal carotid artery (ICA), a term that encompasses agenesis, aplasia, and hypoplasia.
Many of these cases remain asymptomatic and go undetected, however, it is occasionally associated with cerebral aneurysms.