Citation, DOI & case data
Previous history of carcinoma of the left breast that was managed with surgery and radiotherapy. Now presenting with heart failure.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
There is diffuse thickening of the anterior pericardium, upto the vascular root, best seen in multiplanar reformat images. Indentation of right ventricle is seen, causing a "tubular" configuration.
Post-operative changes are seen in left chest wall.
The inferior vena cava is dilated to more than double the aortic diameter.
5 case questions available
Common causes of constrictive pericarditis include injury, infection, and radiotherapy. Radiotherapy is most likely cause in this patient given her history of left-sided breast cancer that was treated with radiotherapy.
CT and MRI can aid in the diagnosis of constrictive pericarditis, as clinically constrictive pericarditis and restrictive cardiomyopathy are similar and may be indistinguishable. In constrictive pericarditis, CT classically shows thickening (>4 mm) of the pericardium, most commonly anteriorly, and pericardial calcifications.
However, radiographical evidence of constrictive pericarditis should also be accompanied by evidence of heart failure. Imaging signs that suggest heart failure (especially right-sided dysfunction) include: a dilated right atrium, dilated hepatic veins, dilated inferior vena cava to more than twice aortic diameter, periportal edema, enlarged superior vena cava to more than the adjacent aorta, reflux of contrast into the inferior vena cava and distal hepatic veins (proximal reflux can be seen with high flow rates).
- 1. Wang ZJ, Reddy GP, Gotway MB et-al. CT and MR imaging of pericardial disease. Radiographics. 2003;23 Spec No : S167-80. doi:10.1148/rg.23si035504 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Restrepo CS, Lemos DF, Lemos JA et-al. Imaging findings in cardiac tamponade with emphasis on CT. Radiographics. 27 (6): 1595-610. doi:10.1148/rg.276065002 - Pubmed citation
1 article features images from this case
21 public playlists include this case
- 01 Examen by Johann Jende
- CT Cases by Ahmad Nakdali
- Chest by Taimur
- Chest by Geetha Sanjeev
- frcr chest by Dr Amr Saadawy
- Thorax by Liam D Watkinson
- teaching cases by Mohamed Emad Shehata
- Viva cases by SG
- TORAX DR SANTOS by Dr Norberto M Santos
- CT CHEST by Tim Patel
- konstruktif perikardit by MUSTAFA YASİR ÖZLÜ
- Aunt Minnie - Cardiac by Mikkelo Sususco
- herz by Ulrike Bartosch
- Cardiovascular Imaging by Dr Lea Aina Abrazaldo
- post treatment chest by Dr Trefa salih Hasan
- Casos Curiosos by Dr Alejandro J. García
- JUDO1606 by Johann Jende
- Good cases by Jheyson Javier Barrios Pereira
- tórax by Marcus Vinicius Galon
- CHE 1 by HoangHuong
- Chest by Kamy