Costochondritis - infectious
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Henry Knipe had the following disclosures:
- Radiopaedia Events Pty Ltd, Speaker fees (past)
- Integral Diagnostics, Shareholder (ongoing)
- Micro-X Ltd, Shareholder (ongoing)
These were assessed during peer review and were determined to not be relevant to the changes that were made.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Right sternoclavicular region pain. Fevers. Increased inflammatory markers. History of active intravenous drug use.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Soft tissue edema around the right 1st costochondral joint with fluid within the actual joint. Both sternoclavicular joints appear unremarkable. No focus of bone marrow edema. No sternal abnormality.
On a corresponding CT, there were subtle bony erosions of the right 1st rib end at the costochondral joint. The underlying etiology is presumed to be infective given the clinical presentation.
- Gotway M, Marder S, Hanks D et al. Thoracic Complications of Illicit Drug Use: An Organ System Approach. Radiographics. 2002;22(suppl_1):S119-35. doi:10.1148/radiographics.22.suppl_1.g02oc01s119
1 article features images from this case
2 public playlists include this case
- Chest by Mohamed Saber ◉
- Fuss MSK by Jens Christian Paul ◉