COVID-19 - rapidly progressive acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Edgar Lorente had no recorded disclosures.View Edgar Lorente's current disclosures
Admitted with acute respiratory failure, fever (38ºC) and dyspnea. She was tachypneic (30 bpm), with lymphopenia and low oxygen saturation (SpO2 85%, PAFI<250).
Ill-defined bilateral alveolar consolidation with peripheral distribution.
Radiological worsening, with changes within the lower lobes. Endotracheal tube and central venous line were required.
Radiological worsening. Bilateral alveolar consolidation with panlobar change.
Bilateral alveolar consolidation with panlobar change, with typical radiological findings of ARDS.
24 hours after the last chest x-ray the patient passed away. COVID-19 is a novel viral pandemic with increasing incidence and a wide spectrum of disease severity. Many countries are currently (c. March 2020) experiencing community spread to persons without known infectious contacts. In Spain, the guidelines to determine who to test for COVID-19 are changing. This implies the risk that some patients discharged from the hospital at that moment, may develop days later, an ARDS.
- 1. Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and Important Lessons From the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Outbreak in China: Summary of a Report of 72 314 Cases From the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020) JAMA. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.2648 - Pubmed
- 2. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, Ren L, Zhao J, Hu Y, Zhang L, Fan G, Xu J, Gu X, Cheng Z, Yu T, Xia J, Wei Y, Wu W, Xie X, Yin W, Li H, Liu M, Xiao Y, Gao H, Guo L, Xie J, Wang G, Jiang R, Gao Z, Jin Q, Wang J, Cao B. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. (2020) Lancet (London, England). 395 (10223): 497-506. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30183-5 - Pubmed
- 3. Chaomin Wu, Xiaoyan Chen, Yanping Cai, Jia’an Xia, Xing Zhou, Sha Xu, Hanping Huang, Li Zhang, Xia Zhou, Chunling Du, Yuye Zhang, Juan Song, Sijiao Wang, Yencheng Chao, Zeyong Yang, Jie Xu, Xin Zhou, Dechang Chen, Weining Xiong, Lei Xu, Feng Zhou, Jinjun Jiang, Chunxue Bai, Junhua Zheng, Yuanlin Song. Risk Factors Associated With Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and Death in Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pneumonia in Wuhan, China. (2020) JAMA Internal Medicine. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.0994 - Pubmed
- 4. Gu J, Han B, Wang J. COVID-19: Gastrointestinal manifestations and potential fecal-oral transmission. (2020) Gastroenterology. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2020.02.054 - Pubmed
- 5. Xiao F, Tang M, Zheng X, Liu Y, Li X, Shan H. Evidence for gastrointestinal infection of SARS-CoV-2. (2020) Gastroenterology. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2020.02.055 - Pubmed
- Lorente E, (2020) Eurorad Case 16660. "Rapidly progressive ARDS secondary to COVID-19 infection". https://www.eurorad.org/case/16660
3 articles feature images from this case
14 public playlists include this case
- Lung by Ly Nguyen
- m3 by Alexander Ziegler
- Critical Care Chest Radiology by Rebecca Dooley
- Chest cases by N Seth
- CILI by Nguyễn Thái Hưng
- rs by Shravya Chrissina
- 20/02/2022 by Joshua Yip
- CHE 4 - Infections by HoangHuong
- Examen by Christophe Rainer Kremer ◉
- RS by Marko Atanasković
- CNEW 2022 by Deena Balaram
- Radiologia Toracica by Tommaso Del Santo
- chest x ray by Udithamala Priyanthi Ratnayake
- OSCER chest by Waseem Mehmood Nizamani