Diverticulitis and diverticular abscess of the sigmoid colon in a cirrhotic patient
45 years old male with hepatitis C is presenting with low grade fever, headache, malaise and diarrhea. Triphasic CT was requested to exclude hepatic focal lesion.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
- Small diverticulosis of the recto-sigmoid associated with mild wall thickening and peri-colic fat stranding as well as small peri-colic lymphadenopathy.
- A heterogeneously enhancing mass lesion with predominantly marginal enhancement and central necrotic portion is seen related to the proximal sigmoid colon with associated inflammatory changes of the distal ileum. The lesion measures about 10 X 8 X 9 cm in its maximal TS, AP and CC dimensions, respectively. Associated peri-lesional fat stranding as well as small lymphadenopathy is noted. No evidence of pneumoperitoneum.
- The liver is not enlarged and shows cirrhotic configuration with heterogenously hypodense parenchyma and irregular outline with rather hypertrophied left and caudate lobes as well as prominent inter-lobar fissure. No definite focal hepatic lesion or intra-hepatic biliary radicles dilatation.
- The spleen is mildly enlarged with no definite focal lesion.
- Normal panaceas.
- Horseshoe kidneys with fusion of their lower poles across the midline and associated malrotation of both kidneys. No renal masses, stones or hydronephrotic changes.
- Small shotty para-aortic and porta-hepatis lymphadenopathy are seen.
- No ascites.
- The scanned lung bases show bilateral basal sub-segmental consolidations with air bronchogram as well as small basal atelectasis.
- Diverticular disease of the recto-sigmoid with diverticulitis and diverticular abscess. No evidence of pneumoperitoneum.
- Liver cirrhosis, no focal hepatic lesion.
- Horseshoe and malrotated kidneys.
- Small portahepatis and para-aortic lymphadenopathy.
- Bilateral basal sub-segmental pneumonic consolidations.
- 1- Wedel T, Böttner M. Anatomy and pathogenesis of diverticular disease. Chirurg. 2014;85 (4): 281-8. doi:10.1007/s00104-013-2617-6 - Pubmed citation
- 2- Köves I, Liszka G. CT examination of diverticular sigmoiditis. Orv Hetil. 1989;130 (2): 71-5. Pubmed citation
- 3- Lawrimore T, Rhea JT. Computed tomography evaluation of diverticulitis. J Intensive Care Med. 2004;19 (4): 194-204. doi:10.1177/0885066604265260 - Pubmed citation
- 4- Wilkins T, Embry K, George R. Diagnosis and management of acute diverticulitis. Am Fam Physician. 2013;87 (9): 612-20. Pubmed citation