Dural ectasia with dural diverticula in ankylosing spondylitis
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Ayaz Hidayatov had no recorded disclosures.View Ayaz Hidayatov's current disclosures
A 20 year history of ankylosing spondylitis presented with walking difficulty and severe muscle atrophy in the bilateral lower limbs.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
MR demonstrates a typical appearance of the bamboo spine, on coronal STIR and T1 weighted images facet joints and both sacroiliac joints were ankylosed.
Dural sac shows widening (dural ectasia) with multiple dorsal dural diverticula causing an erosion of the posterior vertebral elements.
Conus medullaris is tethered at the level of the L1 to the dorsal aspects of the spinal canal and there is adhesion of the cauda equina nerve roots to the posterior wall of the dural sac.
Dural ectasia with multiple dural diverticula is a very rare manifestation in patients with chronic ankylosing spondylitis. The exact etiology of dural ectasia and dural diverticula formation in patients with chronic ankylosing spondylitis is not clearly understood.
- 1. Liu C, Lin Y, Lo C, Chang T. Cauda Equina Syndrome and Dural Ectasia: Rare Manifestations in Chronic Ankylosing Spondylitis. Br J Radiol. 2011;84(1002):e123-5. doi:10.1259/bjr/45816561 - Pubmed
- 2. Liu CC, Lin YC, Lo CP, Chang TP. Cauda equina syndrome and dural ectasia: rare manifestations in chronic ankylosing spondylitis. The British journal of radiology. 84 (1002): e123-5. doi:10.1259/bjr/45816561 - Pubmed
2 articles feature images from this case
22 public playlists include this case
- Long case by Gregory Makris
- mock 15/10 by Wasif Mohammed
- Ankylosing spondylitis by Bilal Vanlioglu
- InteGrated by Marsel N L
- CNS by Gregory Makris
- ADITI SPINE by Aditi Vipin
- Summer21 by Ashlee Kates-Ascioti
- New by Mohamed Labib ahmed ElMoghier
- MOCK CNS 2 by Marya Hameed
- Set 7 by Felicia Teo
- MSK review by Ralph Nelson
- MSK by Gregory Makris
- spine mri by N Seth
- CNS Sunday by Wasif Mohammed
- cns second by Eman Mansour
- cns by simranjit bawa
- Erosive Arthropathies - Classic 2B Findings by Pauline Gammack
- Exam cases (part 5) (part 1) by Noura Alraeesi
- MSK NGUP by Saneej Kanhirat
- dsd by N Seth
- Neuro 2023 by Z Khan
- 6.6.23 K&S by Fraser cooke ◉