Citation, DOI & case data
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
A well-defined lytic lesion in the mid to distal aspect of the proximal phalanx of the index finger. No cortical breach and no periosteal reaction. No fracture can be seen. No other lesions. No soft tissue calcification.
Enchondroma is a benign cartilaginous neoplasm in the medullary cavity. Most enchondromas are
asymptomatic but may present as pathological fractures. Peak age is 10-30 years.
- Tubular bones (hand, foot): 50%
- Femur, tibia, humerus
- Lytic lesion in bones of the hand or foot
- Chondroid calcifications: rings and arcs pattern ("O" and "C")
- Scalloped endosteum
- Expansion of cortex but no cortical breakthrough unless fractured
- No periosteal reaction or soft tissue mass
- In the absence of a fracture, a painful enchondroma is considered malignant until proven otherwise.
- Malignant transformation occurs but is rare.
Enchondromatosis (Ollier disease)
Ollier disease is a nonhereditary abnormality in which multiple enchondromas are present. Many lesions become stable at puberty. Risk of malignant transformation to chondrosarcoma is 25%.
- Multiple radiolucent expansile masses in hand and feet
- Hand and foot deformity
- Tendency for unilaterality
Maffucci syndrome comprises enchondromatosis and multiple soft tissue hemangiomas. Unilateral involvement of hands and feet. Malignant transformation is much more common than in Ollier's disease.
22 public playlists include this case
- Exam by Dave Boha
- Bone tumors by E
- Wrist & Hand by Dr Nina
- Bone tumours by Dr Dirk Tromp
- RAL-1003 A by Dr Julie-Marthe Grenier ◉
- fegnomashic by Andrew Lynch
- Benign Bone Tumors by Savannah Shortz
- rapids by Prakruthi Venkatappa
- Enchondroma by Mohammed alhammadi
- MSK by Ulrike Bartosch
- Alfred MSK Tute by Dr Andrew Dixon ◉
- MSK 2-Fog machines by HoangHuong
- viva practice 2 by Berna Aygun
- MSK by Dileep kumar Perumala
- Bony lesions by Allister Howie
- FRCR viva hands (& feet) by tom bean
- Bone Path II Final by Dr. Nathan Cashion
- 111111akhareshshshsh by faramarz
- Bone hand by Hang t t
- A short 2021 by Dr Abdullah Hajar
- ORTHO by Dr Shreyas
- Bone Tumors JK by Dr. Jan Kaczmarek