Epiploic appendagitis - sigmoid colon
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
Haouimi A, Epiploic appendagitis - sigmoid colon. Case study, Radiopaedia.org (Accessed on 28 Mar 2023) https://doi.org/10.53347/rID-85024
At the time the case was submitted for publication Ammar Haouimi had no recorded disclosures.View Ammar Haouimi's current disclosures
12 Dec 2020
1 time, by 1 contributor - see full revision history and disclosures
Aurès Medical Imaging Center - Batna Algeria
Left lower abdominal pain.
Age: 55 years
From the case: Epiploic appendagitis - sigmoid colon
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The CT scan shows the following features:
- ovoid structure of fat-density in the left iliac fossa, adjacent to the sigmoid colon measuring (3.5 x 3.4 x 2 cm)
- thin peripheral high-density rim "hyperattenuating ring sign"
- no significant thickening of the adjacent colonic wall
- surrounding inflammatory fat stranding with thickening of the adjacent peritoneum
- central hyperdense dot is noted, representing most likely the thrombosed vascular pedicle
Hiatus hernia is noted.
CT scans showing the classic features of an epiploic appendagitis of the sigmoid colon.