Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Irvine Sihlahla had no recorded disclosures.View Irvine Sihlahla's current disclosures
Painful swollen leg and constitutional symptoms for 4 months.
A large proximal fibular osteolytic aggressive lesion with soft tissue swelling and bone destruction and a wide zone of transition. Proximal lateral tibia metaphysis lucency. No periosteal reaction.
Well-defined multi-lobulated mass replaces the proximal fibula and invades the cortex of the lateral tibial plateau with extension into the lateral knee joint space. The mass demonstrates heterogeneous signal intensity which is predominantly isointense to muscle on T1W and hyperintense on T2W imaging. The mass displaces and abuts the popliteal artery which has an irregular outline. The peroneal nerve is displaced and encased laterally.
The patient had a surgical biopsy.
Macroscopy: The specimen consists of multiple tissue fragments, the largest measure 3 mm in greatest dimension.
Microscopy: Sections show multiple fragments of tissue with infiltrates of atypical spindled cells with hyperchromatic nuclei, small nucleoli and frequent mitoses. Intracytoplasmic PAS-positive accumulations are noted. Extensive coagulative necrosis but no osteoid production is seen. No evidence of lymphovascular invasion.
Immunohistochemistry negative for desmin, S100, AE1/AE3, SMA, BCL2, CD34 and EMA. CD99 is positive
Pathological diagnosis favors Ewing sarcoma.
3 case questions available
Pathologically proven Ewing sarcoma of the left fibula. The main differential on imaging would include osteosarcoma. Ewing sarcoma is an aggressive lesion that typically presents with an onion skin appearance periosteal reaction, which is absent in this case.
36 public playlists include this case
- Estafeta by Igor Filippov
- TGRS 12 March 2023 by Zukiswa Sobetwa
- skeletal tumors by Saurabh Srivastava
- 329 by Ashlee Kates-Ascioti
- FMH2 - Osteo by Guillaume Fahrni
- bone by Hassan Magdy
- Viva Set 8 by Doctor Radiologist
- Whitney Session S22 by Nicole Zipay
- EMAD by EMAD IBR
- MSK - Beginner by Thomas M. Anderson ◉
- 07 MSK (CPSP) by Afaaq Rasool
- Estafeta by Igor Filippov
- Final B&J by Jesse Walker
- oncologic cases by Emil Michalski
- Bone tumors by Leonardo Lustosa ◉
- Radiographic Practice 3 by Denise Foulkes
- Tumours - Y3, T2 by Louisa Conradi
- pre osce III by Allan Francisco
- DI2201 Mod 6 by Shannon Robbins
- Mod 10 by Talia LaForest
- Approach to Malignant Bone Tumors by Nikhil Narayanan
- Cases by Caleigh Schafer
- Bone tumors by Nguyen Van Cong
- 05.01.23 by VIKASH KUMAR ◉
- MS by Samuel Moniyong
- Tumors by Kayla Beck
- Msk by Emil Michalski
- Tumeur by Albs Pols
- osteosarcoma by sandeep bhandari
- general monday by Kanika Garg
- msk by Yasin Celal Gunes
- cases by hai phuong thi luong
- DxI2 Lab 4 Fibrous and Misc Lesions of Bone by Ashlee Kates-Ascioti
- mixed viva SAMEH by Sameh Ahmed Baghagho
- 08JN24 Emergency by S T
- B&J midterm 2 by Brooke Pieters