Extra-anatomic ascending-to-descending aortic bypass for aortic coarctation
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Marked narrowing of the aorta just distal to the left subclavian artery origin with a patent extraanatomic ascending to descending aortic bypass graft.
Extra-anatomic ascending-to-descending aortic bypass is a surgical treatment for recurrent aortic coarctation and complex coarctation. Recurrent coarctation occurs in 5-30% of patients after primary repair of their coarctation. Complex coarctation refers to a coarctation that is accompanied by a coexisting cardiac malformation or a technically challenging repair. There are a number of different surgical approaches to repairing recurrent or complex coarctation, several of which are staged procedures. However, extra-anatomic ascending-to-descending aortic bypass is a single stage option for treating these conditions.
This procedure is most commonly performed via sternotomy and placing the patient on cardiac bypass. A tube graft is anastomosed in an end-to-side fashion, bridging the ascending aorta with the descending thoracic aorta. The graft can be either right-sided, passing anterior or posterior to the IVC, or left-sided, passing posterior to the left ventricle.
Postsurgical complications can include paraplegia and aneurysms/pseudoaneurysms at the anastomoses.
- Tabry I, Rush M. Therapeutic Alternatives in the Management of Late Complications of Surgery for Isolated Coarctation of the Aorta. Aorta (Stamford) 2018; 6(2):59-64.
- Arakelyan V, Spiridonov A, Bockeria L. Ascending-to-descending aortic bypass via right thoracotomy for complex (re-) coarctation and hypoplastic aortic arch. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2005; 27(5):815-820.
- Delmo Walter EM, Javier MF, Hetzer R. Extra-anatomical bypass in complex and recurrent aortic coarctation and hypoplastic arch. Interact CardioVasc Thorac Surg 2017; 25:400–406.
- Said SM, Burkhart HM, Dearani JA, Connolly HM, Schaff HV. Ascending-to-descending aortic bypass: a simple solution to a complex problem. Ann Thorac Surg 2014; 97(6):2041-2047.
- Amato JJ, Douglas WI, James T, Desai U. Coarctation of the aorta. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu 2000; 3:125-141.