Fat necrosis breast
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Garth Kruger had no recorded disclosures.View Garth Kruger's current disclosures
Previous left breast surgery for breast cancer. Palpable mass lesion on clinical exam.
The serpiginous peripheral calcification around the lucent necrotic fat is typical of breast fat necrosis.
The potential for confusion with malignant breast calcification arises when there is a small focus of fat necrosis with a small portion calcified. The key to picking this up is the history of a surgical intervention or breast trauma with a high index of suspicion.
This is a typical appearance on mammography.
21 public playlists include this case
- A new cases by Abdullah Hajar
- Breast by Gajan Surendra
- 4a_010 The Treated Breast by RAB Four
- Breast by Miguel
- FRANZCR 06B Breast by AMIRSALEH JAFARI
- GK - Viva - Breast by GLK
- RANRCR Breast Viva 1 by Babawale S. Niyi
- Breast - Calcs by Charles Werren ◉
- BREAST by Juliana Tsuruta
- chestbreast nov 2014 by Karina Dorfman
- Breast cases by Chia Wei Oh
- Breast 2 by Sean
- GK - Breast by GLK
- breast by Iroshani Kodikara
- Part 2 Mammo by Hao Xiang
- GK - Breast - Benign lesions by GLK
- HD&GL1 by Hung Dang
- Post op Breast by Trina Whittaker
- breast NZ by nezar shlaka
- Mamma by AT
- Breast viva by Vicci du Plessis ◉