Fetus in fetu
Citation, DOI and case data
Abdominal mass since birth associated with sudden onset of severe abdominal pain.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
An intraperitoneal malformed fetus in a sac. Malformed skull vault, limbs, teeth and vertebrae are visualized.
Total removal of the malformed fetus was performed and confirmed to be fetus in fetu.
Fetus-in-fetu is a rare benign condition in which a non viable fetus is found in the body of its twin.
It is extremely rare with an incidence of 1:500,000 births. It is a type of monozygotic diamniotic twin.
Differential diagnosis is organized teratoma. Total excision of this malformed fetus is a definite cure.
- 1. Sharifah MI, Noryati M, Che Zubaidah CD, Zakaria Z. Foetus-in-Fetu. The Medical journal of Malaysia. 65 (2): 150-1. Pubmed
- 2. Patankar T, Fatterpekar GM, Prasad S, Maniyar A, Mukherji SK. Fetus in fetu: CT appearance--report of two cases. Radiology. 214 (3): 735-7. doi:10.1148/radiology.214.3.r00mr32735 - Pubmed
1 article features images from this case
13 public playlist include this case
- O&G - Clinical Conditions - Placenta by Dr Charlie Handley
- Abdomen by PRAVEEN MATHEW
- obs/gynae by kevin were wanambiro
- PAEDS by Gregory Makris
- ABDOMEN by Adriano Torres de Oliveira
- Selected viva by mohamed emadaldin mahmoud
- GIT cases by Ramy Gamal El-Sayed Ayad
- FRCR 2B 5 by Dr Sherif Mohsen
- Interesting cases by Dr Osamah A. A. Alwalid
- STUDENTS by Gregory Makris
- Ca by Dr. Chris Atkinson
- abd by simranjit bawa
- Pediatrics by Dr. Kwadwo Antwi