Fibrous dysplasia of the rib
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
Incidental finding on image performed for 4 weeks cough
~6.5 x 3.0 cm expansile lesion of the posterior left ninth rib.
No other bone lesions.
Lungs and pleural spaces clear.
1 year later
Unchanged appearances of the left ninth rib lesion.
No other new findings.
Monostotic fibrous dysplasia (commonly abbreviated to FD) of the rib is the commonest benign bone lesion of the ribs. They are usually clinically silent and found incidentally. Occasionally they may cause pain, which is sometimes the result of a pathological fracture.
Malignant transformation is rare, being seen in less than 1% of cases, and most frequently presents as osteosarcoma, although fibrosarcoma, or chondrosarcoma are also seen. Usually patients notice new or worsening pain or the appearance of a new mass. Imaging tends to reveal aggressive findings, for example periosteal changes and new lucencies.
Because of the risk of transformation, some specialists recommend serial follow-up to ensure stability (e.g. 6-monthly) 1.
In this case, the appearance was deemed to be classic, one of the so-called "do-not-touch" lesions, and it was treated conservatively, as is often the approach decided upon.
1 article features images from this case
25 public playlists include this case
- ortho by Stefan Teodoru-Saman
- Chest (3) April 22 ZAK by Z Khan
- MSK by R. D. Colla
- DI2201 Mod 6 by Shannon Robbins
- mod 8 by Maija Kuan
- MR Chest 1 by Sophie Thoo
- BC CHEST VIVA by Bridgid
- AGNES by Agnes thomas
- Day 1 by Ron Wong
- Thorax allgemein by Michael Grauenhorst
- Tumors by Kayla Beck
- MSK- upper limb by Georgia Yeo ◉
- Chest by Sameh Saied Ali ◉
- BC MSK VIVA by Bridgid
- Bone lesions by Busurca Romana Simona
- Rapid reporting checklist by Kanwal Laique
- Chest 1stDec by Aimua Harriet
- Paget's Fibrous Dysplasia Neurofibromatosis by Tom Molyneux
- Saturday by Dilan Patel
- Lucent bone lesions by Scott Fleming
- LCCW Soft Tissue Chest/Abdomen Playlist by Dr. J. Motley ◉
- Mac long cases by Ian Graham
- DD2 by SARAH HUSSEIN
- Thorax 18 - Rib lesions by Praveen Samarawickrama
- Thorax by Alexandru Badea