Filariasis: left breast
Citation, DOI & case data
1 case question available
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Very fine linear calcification of the parasite in the left breast.
A scarce finding in mammography. This is the second case I have seen in 25 years. The lady was of middle Eastern origin and had no knowledge she had filariasis. The parasite calcifies in the lymphatics of the breast.
The differential diagnosis would include vascular calcifications, artifact and ductal calcifications. Note the orientation is not in the typical ductal distribution radiating out from the nipple. Vascular calcifications are unusually isolated or this delicate.
FNA can confirm the diagnosis, if needed.
- Bastarrika G, Pina L, Vivas I et-al. Calcified filariasis of the breast: report of four cases. Eur Radiol. 2001;11 (7): 1195-7. Pubmed citation
1 article features images from this case
11 public playlists include this case
- Breast by Muna Almull
- Mammography by Tarek Eid
- Breast by Dr Abdullah Hajar
- Breast Calcification by Trina Whittaker
- breast-viva by Dr Timothy Wong
- 4a_006 Breast Calcification by RAB Four
- VC PART II WOMENS by Dr Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- Breast by Allister Howie
- Breast viva mi by Dr Muhammad Idris ◉
- Breast - Calcs by Charles Werren
- Fallvorstellung 12/11/2020 by Janine Knapp