Gout - feet
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Bahman Rasuli had no recorded disclosures.View Bahman Rasuli's current disclosures
A 55-year-old male presented with severe attacks of digital pain and inability to walk.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Extensive juxta-articular erosions with dense soft tissue swelling are seen at first MTP joints in both side, right-sided first toe interphalangeal joint, PIP of the left foot second toe and PIP of right foot second and third toes.
Bone density is of the normal range.
Recent patient case complains of chronic pain and swelling in the foot with an inability to walk on concrete and waking at night, resistant to the medication.
Gout is an inflammatory arthritis and any joint can be involved in gout, but the first MTP joint is the most common.
Classic x-ray findings of gout consists of juxta-articular and intra-articular erosions with sclerotic margins and overhanging edges. bone density is normal. Tophi can be seen as soft-tissue dense masses adjacent to the joints in chronic stages of the disease.
14 public playlists include this case
- Crystal Arthropathy by Mayooran Kandasamy
- Kivelitz by Philipp May
- 20221031 by Dickson Fenn
- Arthritis by Savannah Shortz
- Cases 2B by Horea Craciun
- Arthritis/MetabolicBoneDisease by Cansu Özden
- MSK tutorial by Deirdre Graham
- Bone/skeleton by Saurabh Srivastava
- teaching file by Sadaf jabeen
- Practice Reads by Timothy Brookes
- Erosive Arthritis by Shanesh Kumar
- Rhumato by Yasmine Mestassi
- MSK xrays by Minh Xuan Truong ◉
- Imaging 3 - CPPD/ HADD/ Gout by John Bassano