Hemorrhagic stroke - basal ganglia
Citation, DOI & case data
Acute right sided weakness. Presented to ED within 2 hours of the onset of weakness.
2 case questions available
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Hyperdense left basal ganglia with surrounding edema and mild mass effect. Layering of dense material in both ventricles.
Consistent with acute intracerebral hemorrhage.
3 case questions available
This is a case of a hemorrhagic stroke in the left basal ganglia.
This area of the brain is especially at risk in hypertensive hemorrhage due to the high vascular supply and the stress placed on the vessels here.
These findings are one of the main indications for prompt CT imaging in suspected strokes as if this patient was given thrombolysis or high dose aspirin it would make the whole case worse.
Most of the management is focused on blood pressure control, managing any further complications and stroke rehabilitation.
Thanks to Dr Mohammad Taghi Niknejad for originally uploading this case. The original can be viewed here.
20 public playlists include this case
- Mona by Mona Magdy Mahmoud
- Introducción a la Neuroradiología by Silvana F Ciardullo
- Blutung by Irena Kavrakova
- CT Brain EDIC by Ahmed Said El Masry
- teaching 08.09 by Arjun Thanabalasingam
- Y4 Neuro - focal neurology by UoE Radiology
- Vascular by Eoin F
- Brain CT/MRI by Ashley Scott
- NCCTH by Bilal Alam
- IMT teaching Oct 22 by Kushal Joshi
- Taller de repaso by Silvana F Ciardullo
- Casos Aula 2 by LUAN CARLOS ALVES
- Key_Conditions_Neuro by Amie ◉
- CEIBS 2020 - Neurorx by Antonio Jesús
- Brain by Hamidou Kourouma
- Neuro Non Trauma Emergencies by Maryam Bayat
- Prova de Imagem II by Eduardo Pegoraro Guarnieri
- Cerebrovascular disease by Hrafnkell Oskarsson
- Stroke by Moritz Brehmer
- CT head - My EDIC Practice by Lorinc