Hepatic and pulmonary hydatid cysts (MRI)
Citation, DOI & case data
Chronic dyspnea and chest discomfort of gradual onset.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Multicystic spaces with internal septation in the lower lung lobe and upper segments of the right hepatic lobe. Also, multiple daughter cysts are noted in both solid organs.
On axial T1, the overall signal intensity of the hydatid cysts is low but differs from level to level depending on the amount of proteinaceous materials and cellular debris at each level.
On T2, there is high signal intensity of hydatid cysts. Note satellite daughter cysts in the lung.
On axial Gradient Echo, there is high signal intensity of hydatid cysts with low signal intensity of cysts wall and septa.
Typical MRI findings of hydatid cysts disease of lung and liver.
Right lower lung lobectomy was performed and hydatid disease was confirmed pathologically.
- 1. Marrone G, Crino' F, Caruso S et-al. Multidisciplinary imaging of liver hydatidosis. World J. Gastroenterol. 2012;18 (13): 1438-47. doi:10.3748/wjg.v18.i13.1438 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. von Sinner WN, Rifai A, te Strake L et-al. Magnetic resonance imaging of thoracic hydatid disease. Correlation with clinical findings, radiography, ultrasonography, CT and pathology. Acta Radiol. 1990;31 (1): 59-62. Pubmed citation
- 3. von Sinner W, te Strake L, Clark D et-al. MR imaging in hydatid disease. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1991;157 (4): 741-5. doi:10.2214/ajr.157.4.1892028 - Pubmed citation
12 public playlists include this case
- hepato-3 by tuanleminh ◉
- Liver MRI ZAK by Z Khan
- Thorax - Cases - 17.05.2016. by Nauris Zdanovskis
- MR16 by tuanleminh ◉
- GIT by Jia Lin Chua
- chest by Sara maher
- FRCR 2B HPB by Eelin Tan
- Long case by Gregory Makris
- Primer - Gastrointestinal - Liver by Aman
- Chest by Elias Sachawars ◉
- NEUROPED by rodrigo valadao negri
- Liver MRI by Sherif Mohsen