Rapid (over months) of cognitive decline.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Bilateral periventricular and deep white matter relatively symmetric T2/FLAIR hyperintensity present that extends into the right cerebral peduncle, pons and medulla. The areas of abnormality demonstrate no evidence of mass effect, diffusion restriction or mass effect. Mild diffuse atrophy.
Conclusion: Mild cerebral atrophy and diffuse symmetrical periventricular and deep white matter T2/FLAIR abnormality extending into the left pons, in the setting of HIV infection without treatment and dementia type symptoms, findings would likely be in keeping with HIV encephalopathy. The Less likely differential would be CMV infection. Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) would only be expected to be seen in patients with treatment.
The following serological test results were obtained, confirming the patient to be HIV +ve, with a low CD4+ count.
- HIV-1/2 Antibody by EIA : DETECTED
- HIV-1 Antibody by Western Blot : DETECTED
- HIV-2 Antibody by Western Blot : Not detected
- CRYPTOCOCCAL SEROLOGY (Serum) - Cryptococcal Ag: NOT Detected
- Strongyloides Serology - Strongyloides IgG by EIA : Negative
- JC negative
- T-CELL SUBSETS
- Total WCC 2.50 x10^9/L (normal = 4.00-11.00)
- Total Lymph 0.50 x10^9/L (normal = 1.20-4.00)
- % CD3 61.20%
- Total CD3 0.31 x10^9/L (normal = 0.70-3.58)
- % CD4 6.50%
- Total CD4 0.03 x10^9/L (normal = 0.35-2.63)
- % CD8 54.00%
- Total CD8 0.27x10^9/L (normal = 0.12-1.47)
- CD4:CD8 0.12L (normal = 1.00-2.40)
This case illustrates fairly typical changes of HIV encephalopathy (aka AIDS dementia complex).
19 public playlists include this case
- CNS HIV
- missed cases
- Tony Chen October 2
- 2015 White matter disease
- ADR White matter disease
- Primer - Neuroradiology - Infection
- Cases RF
- Neuroimaging - Brain
- WDHB - Neuro, Head and Neck
- demyelinating diseases
- cns infections
- Neuro as per path
- Neurodegenerative Diseases
- Neuro Cases
- YJL 2B Neuro
- HIV encephalopathy
- CNS AIDS