Hypoperfusion complex - "shock bowel"
Citation, DOI & case data
Motorcycle accident with upper extremity injury and blood loss. CT obtained 10 hours after initial injury.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Small spleen (85 mL).
Mildly hyperenhancing gallbladder wall.
Diffuse mucosal hyperenhancement and submucosal edema of the large and small bowel.
Small aorta (infrarenal AP diameter 1.0 cm).
Right acetabular and pelvic ring fractures with soft tissue/muscular injury of the upper thigh.
Delayed images: persistent mucosal hyperenhancement of the bowel, persistent nephrograms.
Hypoperfusion complex due to blood loss and prolonged hypotension following an upper extremity injury. It reflects the body's sympathetic response to hypotension, and in this case, has the following manifestations:
- shock bowel (splanchnic vasoconstriction results in increased mucosal permeability, resulting in leakage and mural interstitial fluid and contrast)
- hyperenhancing gallbladder wall
- small spleen
- persistent nephrogram
- peripancreatic fluid
- flattened IVC
- small aorta
Of note, a recent article supports that decreased splenic volume is actually the most sensitive indicator of hypoperfusion complex (34 of 35 patients with prior imaging had >30% decrease in volume). On average, patients with hypovolemic shock complex splenic volume was 107 mL, compared to 220 mL in the control population1.
- 1. Enslow MS, Preece SR, Wildman-Tobriner B, Enslow RA, Mazurowski M, Nelson RC. Splenic contraction: a new member of the hypovolemic shock complex. (2018) Abdominal radiology (New York). 43 (9): 2375-2383. doi:10.1007/s00261-018-1478-3 - Pubmed
- 2. Prasad KR, Kumar A, Gamanagatti S, Chandrashekhara SH. CT in post-traumatic hypoperfusion complex--a pictorial review. (2011) Emergency radiology. 18 (2): 139-43. doi:10.1007/s10140-010-0927-2 - Pubmed
22 public playlists include this case
- Aunt Minnies - Paeds by Michael Stewart ◈
- Day 4: Trauma by Michael P Hartung ◉
- Pilvo_trauma by Tomas Jurevicius
- Trauma by Marya Hameed
- FRCR 2B 4 by Sherif Mohsen
- Abdo VIVA by Michael Le ◉
- Trauma by Michael P Hartung ◉
- GIT1 VIVA companion by Nermeen Mohammed Abdelmonem
- Trauma by Saravana Kumar
- Exam cases (part 5) (part 1) by Noura Alraeesi
- Aunt Minnie - Pedia by Mikkelo Sususco
- 01 vv discussion by Aejaz
- urgente by Popovici Alexandra
- abdomen by NICOLETA ZEGREANU
- Trauma by Marya Hameed
- chapman till 45 by Eman Elmaraghi
- Abdo cases by Susan O'Hanlon
- Abdo 1 by Mayooran Kandasamy
- GI quiz visto by Antonio Jesús
- 1 by Susheel K
- Small bowel by Bob Ng
- Z 26/12 by Mahak Sood