Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Rebecca Dumont Walter had no recorded disclosures.View Rebecca Dumont Walter's current disclosures
One year history of central hypothyroidism of unknown etiology.
Contrast-enhanced MRI Brain
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Centered within the right greater than left thalamus/hypothalamus, there are multiple ill-defined punctate and ringlike foci of enhancement with T2 hypointense signal. These areas are surrounded by patchy, minimally expansile T2 hyperintensity throughout the anterior perforated substance, hypothalamus, optic tracts, internal capsules, putamina and ventral thalami.
This is a biopsy-proven case of hypothalamic amyloidoma. Differential considerations for this appearance would include a granulomatous process such as neurosarcoidosis, infection or an atypical appearance of CNS lymphoma.
Amyloid deposition within the brain can take many forms, including cerebral amyloid angiopathy, senile plaques of Alzheimer dementia, deposits seen in the encephalopathy of Kuru and of Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease, or tumor-like focal deposits known as amyloidomas. The latter is the most rare form of cerebral amylodosis, with only a small number of case reports in the literature.
- Gandhi D1, Wee R, Goyal M. CT and MR Imaging of Intracerebral Amyloidoma: Case Report and Review of the Literature. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2003 Mar;24(3):519-22.
2 articles feature images from this case
23 public playlists include this case
- GK - Neuro - Brain - Vascular by GLK
- VC CNS H N S PART II by Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- NRAD by Hanna Zimmermann
- Neuro by Alvaro Zuñiga Gutierrez
- Summer21 by Ashlee Kates-Ascioti
- Brain by Edward Chan
- Neuro (part 6) (part 1) by Taimur
- Frcr 2b by Syed Rahman
- Neuro by Elias Sachawars ◉
- Syndroms by Muhammad AlMatter
- kejsy 12 by Lech Gradziński
- 210909 ST-kvart by E
- Neurorad by Whitney Graff
- MR16 by tuanleminh ◉
- RT Neuro by Kevin Sheng
- Exam cases by Tina
- CNS - cerebral lesions by Georgia Yeo ◉
- NRAD by Johann Jende
- Neuro 2 by Kevin Sheng
- Neuro by Sayed Hashim AlQarooni
- Oddities by Muhammad AlMatter
- neurodegen by Frank Dorrian
- RadioP 2020 by anthony trimboli ◉