Infectious colitis - E. coli 0157:H7
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Charlie Chia-Tsong Hsu had no recorded disclosures.View Charlie Chia-Tsong Hsu's current disclosures
35 year old male with two day history of abdominal pain, diarrhea and tenesmus. 24 hour history of hematochezia.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Axial and coronal CT images following intravenous and oral contrast administration show diffuse colonic wall thickening with mucosal enhancement involving the cecum, ascending colon, transverse colon and proximal descending colon. Hyperemia can be appreciated with prominence of the pericolonic mesenteric vessels. Mild pericolic fat stranding is present. Fecal sample obtained for culture was positive for E. coli (0157:H7).
E. coli (0157:H7) colitis has a predilection for involvement of the transverse colon and both ascending/descending colon with right sided predominance. The location of bowel involvement may give clues to the type of infectious colitides.
Typhoid fever (salmonellosis) has a predilection for involving the cecum, ascending colon and invariably in ileum. Shigellosis predominantly affect the descending colon. Campylobacteriosis affect the small bowel and colon.
Clinical history will often provide clue to the underlying etiology. Non-infectious cause of colitis to be considered include inflammatory bowel disease in adults, ischemic colitis in the elderly and pseudomembraneous colitis.
1 article features images from this case
28 public playlists include this case
- Abdo - large bowel by David Serich
- 1.2.3. Viva by Tamer Ghorab
- RANZCR Abdominal Syllabus - Dead Radiologist Society by Michael Carey
- Abdo - Adult Clinical Conditions - GI by Charlie Handley
- UQ Radiology video tutorial: Abdo: Colitis by Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Exam cases by Iqbal
- Spotters 2 by Abhilash Sandhyala
- Random abdominal cases by Gary Lee
- GI & hepatobiliary course by nezar shlaka
- Tute by Meydene Ong
- Med students RNSH Abdo by Hannah Ireland ◉
- 2차 시험 by JinHo Kwon
- Body CT Emergencies by Matt Wong ◉
- 000000000001 by Susheel K
- av frcr 11 by Avni K P Skandhan ◉
- Body by Naveed Ahmad
- abdominal by Tomoki Naito
- CT abdo starter cases by Alex Davies
- viva 3 by Heba
- ABDO - GI by R A A
- colitis by nour
- FRCR 2B AMR SAADAWY (part 7) (part 1) by Amr Saadawy
- Abdo stranding by Makenze Roberts ◉
- colitis by kalpesh bhesaniya
- GIT by Rochelle Cabry
- FRCR 2B colon by Simon Rupret
- bowel by Susheel K
- GI by Rahim Akram