Inferior mesenteric artery aneurysm
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Vincent Tatco had no recorded disclosures.View Vincent Tatco's current disclosures
Diagnosed with valvular heart disease and coronary artery disease. Pulsatile abdominal mass for which an abdominal aortic aneurysm was suspected.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The aorta and its branches are atherosclerotic.
There is stenosis at the proximal abdominal aorta with occlusion of the celiac and superior mesenteric arteries.
Inferior mesenteric artery aneurysm, measuring 3.0 cm in maximum diameter, is demonstrated.
Supply to the branches of the celiac and SMA is provided by the inferior mesenteric artery through the dilated central anastomotic mesenteric artery (arc of Riolan) and small marginal artery of Drummond, pancreaticoduodenal arcade and inferior phrenic artery. The left gastric artery and rectal arteries are dilated probably participating in collateral formation.
Left renal artery stenosis is also seen.
- cardiomegaly with minimal pericardial effusion
- hepatic calcifications
- smaller than usual right kidney
- renal cortical scarring, bilateral
- minimal pelvic fluid
- degenerative osseous changes
This is a case of inferior mesenteric artery (IMA) aneurysm with occlusive disease of the celiac and superior mesenteric arteries. IMA aneurysms are rare. They are usually asymptomatic and are commonly discovered incidentally. Some patients, like in this case, may present with a pulsatile abdominal mass which can easily be mistaken for abdominal aortic aneurysms.
- 1. Troisi N, Esposito G, Cefalì P et-al. A case of atherosclerotic inferior mesenteric artery aneurysm secondary to high flow state. J. Vasc. Surg. 2011;54 (1): 205-7. doi:10.1016/j.jvs.2010.11.114 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Edogawa S, Shibuya T, Kurose K et-al. Inferior mesenteric artery aneurysm: case report and literature review. Ann Vasc Dis. 2013;6 (1): 98-101. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Tsukioka K, Nobara H, Nishimura K. A case of inferior mesenteric artery aneurysm with an occlusive disease in superior mesenteric artery and the celiac artery. Ann Vasc Dis. 2013;3 (2): 160-3. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
3 articles feature images from this case
11 public playlists include this case
- Vascular IR by Taimur
- CHEST101 by Sherif Maccar ◉
- CNS & SPINE 101 by Sherif Maccar ◉
- Aorta by Mr
- Interventional Radiology by Diego González
- Vascular by Ahmed Hamdy Mhsb
- IMA aneurysm by 안광민
- Anatomy by Taimur
- kejsy 18 by Lech Gradziński
- Examen by Christophe Rainer Kremer ◉
- GI by Taimur