Ingested button battery

Case contributed by Dr Henry Knipe


?ingested foreign body.

Patient Data

Age: 18 months
Gender: Male

 Round metallic foreign body projects over the left abdomen in keeping with history of ingested button. No free gas or evidence of bowel obstruction. Lungs and pleural spaces are clear.      

Case Discussion

Batteries that become lodged in the esophagus or trachea can cause serious burns that lead to serious morbidity (e.g. perforation, fistula) and death with 2 hours. Prompt recognition and discussion with the referrer is vital. 

PlayAdd to Share

Case information

rID: 41600
Published: 22nd Dec 2015
Last edited: 16th Jul 2018
Inclusion in quiz mode: Included

Updating… Please wait.

 Unable to process the form. Check for errors and try again.

 Thank you for updating your details.