Intracranial epidermoid cyst - posterior fossa
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Nick Tarasov had no recorded disclosures.View Nick Tarasov's current disclosures
Gradually increasing vertigo, gait disturbance and headaches.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Ovoid mass measuring 77 x 75 x 50mm (FH x RL x AP) located at the left side of posterior cranial fossa with moderate mass effect on the cerebellum, pons, medulla oblongata with compression of 4th ventricle, and the left temporal lobe. Also well seen intra- and transdiploic involvement, but no further galea aponeurotica. There is 6mm of contralateral midline shift and 10mm tonsillar herniation.
The mass demonstrates heterogeneous T1 and T2 signal intensities, but more valuable is high DWI signal within the mass pronounced centrally, reflecting diffusion restriction, with corresponding low ADC values. There is no significant magnetic susceptibility artifact on gradient echo sequence.
2 case questions available
These MRI findings are in keeping with an intracranial epidermoid cyst.
This patient has a large intracranial epidermoid cyst, which is a congenital lesion with an estimated prevalence about 1% of all intracranial tumors. This lesion was symptomatic and causes mass effect mainly on the cerebellum. It is difficult not to underestimate the value of DWIs - these are short but helpful sequences, especially in identifying epidermoids. So, the use of contrast-enhanced study in this case was doubtful.
1 article features images from this case
23 public playlists include this case
- Review by Ahmed Reda Bassiouny
- Schädel/WS by JR
- Neuro14 - Brain tumours by Bruno Di Muzio ◉ ◈
- RANZCR 2018 practice set 14 - Neuro by Yuranga Weerakkody ◉
- NR1-P1 by tuanleminh ◉
- completed by Margy McCullough-Hicks
- Neuro (part 2) (part 1) by Taimur
- kejsy 2 by Lech Gradziński
- 2016 Neuro by Aaron Ow
- A 2021 long by Abdullah Hajar
- Pit, hypothal, basal gang, by Geri Darmanin
- Extra axial cns tumors by shabnam khalafi
- CNS/Head/Neck by Chinthaka Appuhamy
- Neoplastic by Eoin F
- VGHTC 201508 by Lin
- MRI Brain by Chris Sia
- RANZCR 2018 practice set 8 - Neuro by Yuranga Weerakkody ◉
- extracranial by Marta Aguilar Perez
- divyanka by Dileep Narayanan Chathoth
- PEDIATRIC BRAIN by Anderson Silva Chalegre
- Neuro by Deva
- CNS by David Doss
- CNS 28 - Posterior Fossa Cystic Lesions by Praveen Samarawickrama