Intracranial metastatic melanoma
Citation, DOI & case data
Previously known as right papillary adenocarcinoma of the retinal pigmented epithelium by histopathology. The condition started a year before with decreased visual acuity of the right eye accompanied by ocular pain in the same eye.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Sagittal T1-weighted projection shows enucleation of the oculi globe and with the presence of a mass in the ipsilateral nasolacrimal duct, with hypointense behavior on T1, isointense on T2/FLAIR.
DWI and ADC projections show no diffusion restriction.
Said lesion shows apparent superior extension towards the nasolacrimal duct and the floor of the orbit, eroding the latter; as well as a posterior extension towards the right maxillary sinus with infiltration of the same.
Intraventricular and infundibular pituitary lesions are documented in relation to metastatic tumor activity.
The incidence of central nervous system (CNS) metastases in patients with melanoma ranges from 10% to 40% in clinical studies and is even higher in autopsy series with as many as two-thirds of patients with metastatic melanoma having CNS involvement.
This case shows post-surgical changes in the right orbit with the presence of a lesion in relation to residual tumor activity of a known primary tumor; likewise, intraventricular and infundibular pituitary lesions are associated with metastatic tumor activity.
- Soffietti R, Rudā R, Mutani R. Management of brain metastases. J Neurol. 2002 Oct;249(10):1357-69. doi: 10.1007/s00415-002-0870-6. PMID: 12382150.
- Arai N, Kagami H, Mine Y, Ishii T, Inaba M. Primary Solitary Intracranial Malignant Melanoma: A Systematic Review of Literature. World Neurosurg. 2018 Sep;117:386-393. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2018.06.138. Epub 2018 Jun 26. PMID: 29959081.
- Faiz K, Botsford A, Sinha N, Walling S, Shankar JJS. T2 Hypointensity Aids in the Diagnosis of Intracranial Metastatic Adenocarcinoma. Can J Neurol Sci. 2020 Mar;47(2):210-213. doi: 10.1017/cjn.2019.338. PMID: 31843037.
- Byun J, Park ES, Hong SH, Cho YH, Kim YH, Kim CJ, Kim JH, Lee S. Clinical outcomes of primary intracranial malignant melanoma and metastatic intracranial malignant melanoma. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2018 Jan;164:32-38. doi: 10.1016/j.clineuro.2017.11.012. Epub 2017 Nov 20. PMID: 29156329.
- Bafaloukos D, Gogas H. The treatment of brain metastases in melanoma patients. Cancer Treat Rev. 2004 Oct;30(6):515-20. doi: 10.1016/j.ctrv.2004.05.001. PMID: 15325032.