Left renal vein thrombosis
Incidental finding on recently diagnosed breast cancer staging.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
An incidental finding of left renal vein thrombosis.
Evidence of a linear hypodense filling defect noted in the proximal aspect of the left renal vein (relative to the hilum of the left kidney). Evidence of narrowing of the proximal part of the left renal vein noted in between the aorta and the superior mesenteric artery. The angle between the aorta and the SMA is reduced. The left renal vein, prior to its drainage to the narrowed portion, appears slightly dilated
Hepatic hemangioma and cholelithiasis are noted.
A case of a long venous filling defect highlighting the asymmetry of the anatomy of the renal veins.
With the increased use of CT, often for very general clinical indications, one needs to keep their eyes open for an array of incidental findings.
The incidental findings vary greatly in their significance.
Left renal vein thrombosis, with features as described. Clinical correlation to rule out any evidence of nutcracker syndrome is recommended.
- 1-Kawashima A, Sandler CM, Ernst RD, Tamm EP, Goldman SM, Fishman EK. CT evaluation of renovascular disease. Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 20 (5): 1321-40. doi:10.1148/radiographics.20.5.g00se141321 - Pubmed
- 2-Brown ED, Chen MY, Wolfman NT, Ott DJ, Watson NE. Complications of renal transplantation: evaluation with US and radionuclide imaging. Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 20 (3): 607-22. doi:10.1148/radiographics.20.3.g00ma14607 - Pubmed
- 3-Karande GY, Hedgire SS, Sanchez Y, Baliyan V, Mishra V, Ganguli S, Prabhakar AM. Advanced imaging in acute and chronic deep vein thrombosis. Cardiovascular diagnosis and therapy. 6 (6): 493-507. doi:10.21037/cdt.2016.12.06 - Pubmed
- 4-Reznek RH. CT/MRI in staging renal cell carcinoma. Cancer imaging : the official publication of the International Cancer Imaging Society. 4 Spec No A: S25-32. doi:10.1102/1470-7330.2004.0012 - Pubmed
- 5-S. Jayogapal, H. L. Cohen, P. W. Brill, P. Winchester, D. Eaton. Calcified neonatal renal vein thrombosis demonstration by CT and US. Pediatric Radiology. 20 (3): 160. doi:10.1007/BF02012961