Macroregenerative siderotic hepatic nodule
Known case of cirrhosis on regular follow up scan was found to have a iso to hyperdense mass lesion in the right lobe of liver.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Large well defined, solid lesion seen in segment IV of liver. It is mildly hyperdense on non-contrast and arterial phase and appears isodense on portal and delayed phase. Minimal enhancement noted. No central scar/calcification/fat/arterial enhancement noted. With these features the possibility of siderotic regenerative nodule was suggested which was further confirmed on MRI (images not available).
Patients with cirrhosis can accumulate focal iron within regenerative or dysplastic hepatic nodules, hence they are referred to as 'siderotic nodules'. Siderotic dysplastic nodules are considered premalignant lesions while siderotic regenerative nodules are a marker for severe viral or alcoholic cirrhosis.
If there are iron deposits above a certain level, siderotic regenerating nodules may appear as high attenuating nodules on CT or as heterogeneous regions of high density liver parenchyma.
MRI is more sensitive in characterizing them.
- Krinsky GA, Lee VS, Nguyen MT et-al. Siderotic nodules in the cirrhotic liver at MR imaging with explant correlation: no increased frequency of dysplastic nodules and hepatocellular carcinoma. Radiology. 2001;218 (1): 47-53. Pubmed citation
2 article feature images from this case
22 public playlist include this case
- Abdo by Whitney Graff
- Abdomen by Jonas Sender
- liver by Dr Trefa salih Hasan
- 2 by Dr anthony trimboli ◉
- Revision - GI - LIver by Aman Sandhu
- HPB lesions by Dr Horea Craciun
- Liver by Allister Howie
- Abdo by eliotb
- Hypervascular Liver Lesions 1 by David Ong
- Cases RF by Dr Nikhil Rao
- Abdo and GU by Parveen Sidhu
- hepatic tumor by do thanh danh
- liver by Dr Sharbell Hashoul
- VC PART II GIT GU by Dr Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- A 2021 long by Dr Abdullah Hajar
- FRCR 2B 3 by Dr Sherif Mohsen
- Liver MRI by Dr Sherif Mohsen
- GI: Focal liver lesions by Victor Schulze-Zachau
- Leber by Johannes Dinkel
- Liver lesions by Dr Georgia Yeo ◉
- Mamdouh Mahfouz - Abdomen (liver) by Dr Mohammed Shedeed
- git by dr Maimoona murad khan