Medulloblastoma with obstructive hydrocephalus
Citation, DOI and case data
Headache and blurring of vision
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
A well defined solid lesion is seen occupying and expanding the 4th ventricle. It displays low signal in T1, bright signal in T2 and restricted diffusion in DWI. It shows cystic areas of degenertion inside and extension through the foramina of lushka. Associated supratentorial hydrocephalic changes and CSF transependymal permeation are noted.
Contrast was not administered.
Although the parents did not consent to IV contrast, DWI helped us to characterize this lesion. 4th ventricular tumors include ependymoma, subependymoma, medulloblastoma and choroid plexus papilloma. The only lesion which may show diffusion restriction is medulloblastoma because it has packed cells (highly cellular tumor).
- Koeller KK, Rushing EJ. From the archives of the AFIP: medulloblastoma: a comprehensive review with radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 2003;23 (6): 1613-37. Radiographics (full text) - doi:10.1148/rg.236035168 - Pubmed citation
- Osborn A, Blaser S, Salzman K. Encyclopedia of Diagnostic Imaging. AMIRSYS. (2008) ISBN:0721629059. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
1 article features images from this case
11 public playlist include this case
- Cns by dr Maimoona murad khan
- Report writing 2 by Dr Matthew Lukies
- Brain tumour by Dr Ramudar Singh
- Brain Tumors by Dr Jay Starkey ◉
- ACEM Autumn Symposium 2019 - Paeds by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Neuro by Francesco Palumbo
- Don't forget the bubbles 2018 by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Onco12-P19 by tuanleminh
- Casos Neuro 21/07/2017 by Flávio Murilo Ribeiro Bezerra
- Neuro - Posterior fossa mass by Charles Werren
- QUT anatomy 1 by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈