Midbrain to pons area ratio as described by Oba et al
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
In the method described by Oba et al the area of the midbrain and pons are calculated and the ratio midbrain : pons obtained 1.
The pontomesencephalic junction is defined by a line between the superior pontine notch (A) and the inferior border of the quadrigeminal plate (B).
The pontomedullary junction is defined by a line parallel to the first line, at the level of the inferior pontine notch.
A normal value is approximately 0.24 where as it is significantly reduced in PSP to 0.12 1.
Diagram by Frank Gaillard.
- Oba H, Yagishita A, Terada H et-al. New and reliable MRI diagnosis for progressive supranuclear palsy. Neurology. 2005;64 (12): 2050-5. doi:10.1212/01.WNL.0000165960.04422.D0 - Pubmed citation
2 articles feature images from this case
10 public playlists include this case
- neuro 3 by Kevin Sheng
- Denerative disease by Michalina Pieczulska
- Dementia by Mudit Arora
- Anatomy - neuro by Phillip Marsh
- Nöro by Turay Cesur
- brain - dementia by Daniela Riedl
- VC CNS H N S PART II by Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- Neuro-inflamatory, infections and neurodegenerative by Peneoasu Cristian
- Normal Anat Diagrams by James Clark ◉
- Neuro 2 by Eugene Ng