Mitral annular calcification
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Jeremy Jones had no recorded disclosures.View Jeremy Jones's current disclosures
72 year old male presented with breathlessness and cardiac chest pain. Hypertensive with a history of ischemic and valvular heart disease.
There is dense, amorphous calcification within the cardiac silhouette arranged in a curvilinear path that corresponds to the location of the annulus of the mitral valve.
Mitral annulus calcification: pathology specimen
This autopsy specimen demonstrates thickened mitral valve leafelts, with marked stenosis. The mitral annulus calcification is seen as pale white 'lumps' under the endothelium around the margins of the valve.
On the chest x-ray, there is mitral annular calcification. His cardiac chest pain was treated appropriately and a 12 hour Troponin confirmed that he had suffered some myocardial necrosis.
A subsequent echocardiogram confirmed significant mitral stenosis and angiography confirmed significant 3 vessel disease.
He was transferred to the local cardiac unit for three vessel CABG and mitral valve replacement. His post surgical recovery was uneventful.
1 article features images from this case
23 public playlists include this case
- Chest by Afonso Carvalho Silva
- CHEST VIVA by Juliana Tsuruta
- Prüfung Cv by Lisa Ruby
- Last board review spots by Abdullah Hajar
- Critical Care Chest Radiology by Rebecca Dooley
- YJL 2B Chest by YJ Lee
- 2-Toraks by Abdullah Sukun
- CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM by Charlotte Be
- CHEST by Atanas Kravaev
- 100 RX for R1 by Juan José Maya González
- Pulmo et gastro by Genevieve
- 2B chest by Mohamed Talaat
- chest 2b by R A A
- chest x ray by Udithamala Priyanthi Ratnayake
- herz by Ulrike Bartosch
- missed cases 2 by Fahad Alabdulghani
- GK - Chest - Heart by GLK
- Valves by Isaac Lui
- Revise Dec2018 by Maged Shaban
- Chest 3 by N Seth
- 2B: Chest 2 by Daoud akhtar
- exam 3 by Nirosha Amali
- Lung by Fatima Fati Nik