Morel-Lavallée lesion - left hip
Citation, DOI and case data
Pain and swelling left lateral hip.
Note: This case has been tagged as "legacy" as it no longer meets image preparation and/or other case publication guidelines.
Left hip joint
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Circumscribed thin-walled fluid collection at the interface between the subcutaneous fat and deep fascia, with fluid-fluid level and small globular focus of fat signal intensity.
Post-traumatic, closed, internal degloving injuries.
One-third of patients present months or years after the initial injury and can mimic a soft tissue tumor, but the location and shape of the lesion, conforming to that of the fascial plane is atypical for tumor.
Site: usually subcutaneous tissues over the greater trochanter. Also described along flank, buttock, lumbar spine, scapula, and knee.
Macroscopic pathology: oval, fusiform, or crescentic, consistent with fluid dissecting along traumatized fascial planes.
MRI findings: hemolymphatic fluid, blood degradation products, fat (viable or necrotic), capsule variably present, varying degrees of enhancement.
The presence of a capsule may be a factor in choosing surgical treatment over conservative management.
- 1. Morel-Lavallee VAF. [Decollements traumatiques de la peau et des couches sous-jacentes]. Arch Gen Med. 1863;1:20-38, 172-200, 300-32 [in French].
- 2. Mellado JM, Bencardino JT. Morel-Lavallée lesion: review with emphasis on MR imaging. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 2005;13 (4): 775-82. doi:10.1016/j.mric.2005.08.006 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Hak DJ, Olson SA, Matta JM. Diagnosis and management of closed internal degloving injuries associated with pelvic and acetabular fractures: the Morel-Lavallée lesion. J Trauma. 1997;42 (6): 1046-51. Pubmed citation
- 4. Parra JA, Fernandez MA, Encinas B et-al. Morel-Lavallée effusions in the thigh. Skeletal Radiol. 1997;26 (4): 239-41. Pubmed citation
- 5. Tejwani SG, Cohen SB, Bradley JP. Management of Morel-Lavallee lesion of the knee: twenty-seven cases in the national football league. Am J Sports Med. 2007;35 (7): 1162-7. doi:10.1177/0363546507299448 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Scaranelo AM, Davanço RA. Pseudocyst formation after abdominal liposuction-extravasations of Morel-Lavallée on MR images. (2005) British journal of plastic surgery. 58 (6): 849-51. doi:10.1016/j.bjps.2004.12.016 - Pubmed
- 7. Hudson DA, Knottenbelt JD, Krige JE. Closed degloving injuries: results following conservative surgery. (1992) Plastic and reconstructive surgery. 89 (5): 853-5. doi:10.1097/00006534-199205000-00013 - Pubmed
- 8. Mellado JM, Pérez del Palomar L, Díaz L et-al. Long-standing Morel-Lavallée lesions of the trochanteric region and proximal thigh: MRI features in five patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004;182 (5): 1289-94. doi:10.2214/ajr.182.5.1821289 - Pubmed citation
- 9. Harma A, Inan M, Ertem K. [The Morel-Lavallée lesion: a conservative approach to closed degloving injuries]. (2004) Acta orthopaedica et traumatologica turcica. 38 (4): 270-3. Pubmed
- 10. Bruce Curtiss Gilbert, Liem T. Bui-Mansfield, Schuyler Dejong. MRI of a Morel-Lavallée Lesion. (2012) American Journal of Roentgenology. 182 (5): 1347-8. doi:10.2214/ajr.182.5.1821347 - Pubmed
- 11. Tseng S, Tornetta P. Percutaneous management of Morel-Lavallee lesions. (2006) The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume. 88 (1): 92-6. doi:10.2106/JBJS.E.00021 - Pubmed
1 article features images from this case
11 public playlist include this case
- HIP by Dr Saad Ahmed Saad Hassan
- MRI hip/spine by Bob Ng
- MRI hip by Dr Guy Harris
- Interesting by ahmed alaa al-agamy
- MR höft by E
- MRI knee by Dr Emmy de Heer
- HIP by Jaanri Brugman
- Soft Tissue by Dr Saad Ahmed Saad Hassan
- mri pelvis by Dr Pallavi Kamat
- CASES by Dr Ahmed Faiz Al-Musawi
- MSK VIVA 28-03-2021 by Dr. umar a saeed ◉