MRI findings in brain death
Citation, DOI & case data
Background of chronic renal failure, status post renal transplant. She developed sepsis with toxic myocarditis and eventually had cardiac arrest and hypoxic-ischemic brain injury.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
There is tonsillar herniation, loss of intra-arterial flow voids signal, diffuse cortical high signal intensity and swelling of cerebral sulci on T2WI, effacement of bilateral lateral ventricles, high signal intensity in cerebral and cerebellar hemispheres on DWI due to cytotoxic edema and no significant blooming on GRE.
MR findings cases of brain death include diffuse swelling of the cerebral gyri and cerebellar cortex, demonstrating iso-hypointense signals on T1WI, getting iso-hyperintense on T2 WI suggestive of hypoxic-ischemic brain injury, with associated tonsillar herniation, effacement of bilateral lateral ventricles and loss of normal flow voids in the intracranial portions of both internal carotid arteries. MR angiography may show a paucity of intracranial vessels at/above the level of the supraclinoid portions of the bilateral internal carotid arteries.
Important: these features are diagnostic of legal brain death and MRI generally is not considered a suitable ancillary test to determine brain death when a clinical determination is not possible or sufficient. Read more about brain death.
- Ishii K, Onuma T, Kinoshita T et-al. Brain death: MR and MR angiography. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1996;17 (4): 731-5. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- Sohn CH, Lee HP, Park JB et-al. Imaging findings of brain death on 3-tesla MRI. Korean J Radiol. 2012;13 (5): 541-9. doi:10.3348/kjr.2012.13.5.541 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
17 public playlists include this case
- Neoplastic by Eoin F
- CNS cases by Mohamed R Nouh
- Neuro08 - STROKE by Bruno Di Muzio ◉ ◈
- UQ Radiology video tutorial: Brain: Mass effect, midline shift and herniation by Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- CNS Trauma by Cary MacMillan
- Neuroradiology II (MRI) - Cases - 08.09.2016 by Nauris Zdanovskis
- Neuroradiology by Ranjit kumar
- Neuro FRCR 2B by Dr Feras Salhi
- Neiroradiology I - Cases - 07.09.2016. by Nauris Zdanovskis
- Neuro 2 ZAK by Z Khan
- Brain by Matt A. Morgan ◉
- neuro Sep 22 by elroy
- Neuro by Joshua Yap ◉
- frcr neuro by Amr Saadawy
- Neuro key conditions by Sophie Thoo
- phil3 by jan reichmann
- 2b CNS/spine by Ali Labeeb Alwan