Multiple spinal arachnoid cysts
Presented with bilateral mild lower limb weakness of 1 ½ months duration with recent onset bowel and bladder incontinence . There is also a preceding chronic back pain for 1 year with no other co-morbidities.
T1W and T2W images of cervical and Lumbar Spine
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The neural canal dilated with multiple lobulated CSF filled extradural cysts within it. These cysts are seen extending from cervical spine to lumbosacral spine involving the entire spine. Posterior vertebral body scalloping is present. Spinal cord and cauda equina is deviated anteriorly and compressed. Some lesions show early extension through neural foramina.
Spinal arachnoid cysts are benign, space occupying lesions that are filled with clear CSF like fluid and are usually found in the intracranial compartment. Less frequently they are seen in the spine, as in this case. Spinal arachnoid cysts can be classified into Intradural and extradural arachnoid cysts.
(Authors Dr. Aruna Pallewatte, Dr Lasitha Wickremaratne)
- 1. Anne G Osborn,Diagnostic Neuroradiology,Mosby 2004 pg 639.
- 2. Ergun T, Lakadamyali H,Multiple extradural spinal arachnoid cysts causing diffuse myelomalacia of the spinal cord,Neurologist. 2009 Nov;15(6):347-5
- 3. Choi JY, Kim SH, Lee WS, Sung KH. Spinal extradural arachnoid cyst. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2006; 148:579–585.
- 4. Kumar K, Malik S, Schulte PA. Symptomatic spinal arachnoid cysts: report of two cases with review of the literature. Spine 2003;28:E25–E29.
- 5. Holly LT, Batzdorf U. Syringomyelia associated with intradural arachnoid cysts. J Neurosurg Spine 2006; 5:111–116.
- 6. Liu JK, Cole CD, Sherr GT, Kestle JR, Walker ML.Noncommunicating spinal extradural arachnoid cyst causing spinal cord compression in a child. J Neurosurg 2005; 1033 suppl:266–269.
- 7. Prevo RL, Hageman G, Bruyn RP, Broere G, van de Stadt J.Extended extradural spinal arachnoid cyst: an unusual cause of progressive spastic paraparesis. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 1999;101:260–263.
- 8. Wang MY, Levi AD, Green BA. Intradural spinal arachnoid cysts in adults. Surg Neurol 2003; 60:49–56.
- 9. Gwyneth Hughes, Kene Ugokwe Edward c. Benzel, Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine April 2008 vol. 75 4 311-315