Otogenic brain abscess due to complicated otitis media and mastoiditis
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Michael P Hartung had no recorded disclosures.View Michael P Hartung's current disclosures
Chronic right ear infection with new neurological deficits.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Right middle ear and mastoid effusion. Right mastoid has loss of bone with thinning of the wall. Small focus of pneumocephalus just cranial to the sinus indicates erosion of the wall.
Extradural enhancing collection along the posterior and lateral right cerebellum. Several smaller enhancing cerebellar collections are associated with right sigmoid and transverse sinus thrombosis. Midline shift and tonsillar herniation due to cerebellar edema/subdural collections with crowding of the brainstem. Diffuse effacement of the sulci with hydrocephalus due to 4th ventricular obstructions.
Uncommon but severe complication of otitis media resulting in subdural and cerebellar abscesses. This advanced presentation requires urgent intervention due to compression of the fourth ventricle resulting in hydrocephalus and cerebellar tonsillar herniation.
1 article features images from this case
21 public playlists include this case
- ENT ED by Cassie McCloskey
- brain tumors by Ameer Mohamed Nabawy
- Daily cases by Abdullah Hajar
- FRCR neuro by Abdulaziz Faisal miss Shuaib
- YJL 2B Head & Neck by YJ Lee
- res session week 9 by Ashlee Kates-Ascioti
- CNS EXAM CASES FOR FCPS... PLAYLIST #1 by Kanwal Laique
- CNS HN SPINE by Bassem Abbas Mahmoud
- Head and Neck Emergencies: How to Stay out of Trouble by David Martineau ◉
- A rough night on call: abdominal CT in the ED by Michael P Hartung ◉
- Neuroimaging by Ameer Mohamed Nabawy
- ED by Trefa Salih Hasan
- long cases 1 by nuran sabir
- CEIBS 2020 - Kahoot NeuroRx by Antonio Jesús
- Prüfung head neck by Lisa Ruby
- CVS by Abdullah Hajar
- Head & Neck by Louis raoult
- kanıka by nuran sabir
- Head & Neck by Ismail Sayed Ismail
- castle by Samarakoon Mudiyanselage Shalitha Bandara Samarakoon
- Acute CT cases 2 - On call exam practice by Jordan Colman