Admitted to the hospital with fever and painful swelling of the cheek.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Ultrasound of the parotid gland showed:
- enlargement of the gland
- loss of normal echotexture
- multiple hypoechogenic nodules
- increased vascularity on Power Doppler
The diagnosis of mumps was made based on laboratory findings:
- increased levels of mumps IgM
The mentioned above ultrasound findings seem to correlate with the literature. The reason of developing mumps in this child despite regular vaccinations is unclear but it can be related to lower efficacy of the vaccination and decreased levels of mumps antibodies.
- Dayan GH, Rubin S. Mumps outbreaks in vaccinated populations: are available mumps vaccines effective enough to prevent outbreaks?. Clin. Infect. Dis. 2008;47 (11): 1458-67. doi:10.1086/591196 - Pubmed citation
- Orlandi MA, Pistorio V, Guerra PA. Ultrasound in sialadenitis. J Ultrasound. 2013;16 (1): 3-9. doi:10.1007/s40477-013-0002-4 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation