Parry-Romberg syndrome with intracranial manifestations
Citation, DOI and case data
History of localization-related epilepsy and prior surgical intervention for facial asymmetry. Now presents for imaging evaluation.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
- pronounced atrophic changes of the left face, with skin thinning, loss of subcutaneous fat, and decreased volume of the muscles of mastication and parotid gland
- abnormal hyperintense signal within the left cerebellar white matter in addition to atrophic changes involving the left masticator space and overlying skin and subcutaneous fat
- confluent signal abnormality within the left centrum semiovale extending to subcortical white matter.
- foci of hypointense signal associated with the left cerebellar white matter FLAIR abnormality, compatible with microhemorrhages or mineralization
Post-contrast T1 SPGR:
- nodular enhancement within the left cerebellar white matter corresponding to the region of abnormal FLAIR and GRE signal
- multiple foci of nodular enhancement within the region of abnormal FLAIR signal involving the left centrum semiovale and subcortical white matter
2 case question available
The parenchymal enhancement seen in the presented case has not been described in the setting of Parry Romberg syndrome; however, the supra and infratentorial white matter signal abnormalities and microhemorrhages or calcifications are in keeping with previously reported findings.
Our patient underwent a brain biopsy which yielded non-specific findings of a lymphoplasmacytic infiltrate. The enhancement and parenchymal signal changes have remained stable over a 3 year follow-up period.
- Blitstein MK, Tung GA. MRI of cerebral microhemorrhages. AJR AM J Roentgenol 2007;189(3):720-725.
- Lee YJ, Chung KY, Kang HC, Kim HD, Lee JS. Parry-Romberg syndrome with ipsilateral hemi-pons involvement presenting as monoplegic ataxia. Korean J Pediatr 2015;58(9):354-357.
- Seegobin K, Abdool K, Ramcharan K, Dyaanand H, Rampersad F. The chronic encephalopathy of Parry Romberg syndrome and en coupe de sabre with a 31-year-history in a West Indian woman: clinical, immunologic and neuroimaging abnormalities. Neurol Int 2016;8(3):60-63.
- Wong M, Phillips CD, Hagiwara M, Shatzkes DR. Parry Romberg syndrome: 7 cases and literature review. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2015;36(7):1355-1361.
- Cory RC, Clayman DA, Faillace WJ, McKee SW, Gama CH. Clinical and radiologic findings in progressive facial hemiatrophy (Parry-Romberg syndrome). . AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1997;18(4):751-757.