Pituitary macroadenoma - cavernous sinus invasion
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
Adult patient presenting with a homonymous bitemporal hemianopia.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
MRI of the pituitary demonstrating a large mass extending into the suprasellar cistern and compressing the optic chiasm. Note the invasion into the left cavernous sinus with encasement of the ICA.
2 case questions available
This patient went on to have transphenoidal surgery.
Microscopic Description: Sections show pieces of a pituitary adenoma, and fragments of neurohypophysis. Focal microcysts are seen. The tumor cells are immunoreactive for growth hormone, and are immuno-negative for LH, TSH and FSH. Rare cells display immunoreactivity for ACTH and prolactin.
Final Diagnosis: Pituitary macroadenoma, showing growth hormone immunoreactivity.
This case demonstrates appearances of a sizable pituitary macroadenoma.
7 articles feature images from this case
30 public playlists include this case
- Head and neck by Robert Ligetfalvi
- Breast by Robert Ligetfalvi
- Approaches by Abdullah Hajar
- Residents - Neuroradiology by Yaïr Glick ◉
- CNS Tumour by Cary MacMillan
- GK - Neuro - Brain - Pituitary region by GLK
- Minden by Daniel Kovacs
- BRAIN TUMORS by Deyan P. Ivanov
- Neuro by Daniel Kovacs
- Liste de cas - Ophtalmologie by Jean Cournoyer-Rodrigue
- Tumores do SNC by Yago Andrei Balieiro de Castro
- 01 Brain (CPSP) by Afaaq Rasool
- Pituitary region by Eoin F
- Head by Petro Chukur
- Neuroradiology by Muhammad Bin Zulfiqar
- mri brain- epilepsy- dementia-Pitutary gland by Do Thanh Danh
- sgnol by Vish
- Intracranial tumours by Peneoasu Cristian
- AULA CASOS NEURO by Arthur Aiolfi Guimarães
- UQ Med CBL - Blind spot! by Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- AA- NEURO 1 by Anusha A
- Brain tumour by Thuấn Nguyễn Hoàng
- CASES 2 by Dr. Yash jain
- NeuroImaging 3 - Toxic, Metabolic, Degenerative, Miscellaneous & Pituitary by Joel Lim
- Pituitary and suprasellar masses by Nithya Sukumar
- Patologías en RMN Cerebral by Francisco Gallegos
- Brain imaging by Kamil Kayayurt
- Neuro boards cases by Savannah Shortz
- NR by Samuel Moniyong
- cranial nerves by Brendon Friesen