Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
Saied A, Polycystic ovaries. Case study, Radiopaedia.org (Accessed on 04 Jun 2023) https://doi.org/10.53347/rID-32857
At the time the case was submitted for publication Ahmed Mahrous Saied had no recorded disclosures.View Ahmed Mahrous Saied's current disclosures
18 Dec 2014
18 times, by 4 contributors - see full revision history and disclosures
Presented with pelvic colic.
Age: 35 years
From the case: Polycystic ovaries
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
These MRI images reveal the characteristic appearance of the polycystic ovaries:
- both ovaries are enlarged in size.
- both ovaries contain an abnormally large number of follicles (>10-12 each). All follicles show a more-or-less similar size with no dominant follicles detected (size <10 mm).
- the follicles display an abnormal distribution being arranged peripherally (showing the characteristic "string of pearls" appearance).
When diagnosing polycystic ovaries, one can apply the ten rule:
- Volume of each ovary (>10 cm3).
- Each ovary contains (>10 follicles).
- Each follicle diameter (<10 mm).
1 article features images from this case
20 public playlists include this case
- UG Female by Cary MacMillan
- kejsy #1 (part 4) by Lech Gradziński
- GU by Taimur
- mri abdomen by Pallavi Kamat
- Woman by Laylamfekry
- Gynae viva MRI 3 by Babawale S. Niyi
- Gynae by Allister Howie
- Fertility Assessment US by Stephen Sinnott
- WOMEN IMAGING CASES by Aqeela Sadia
- 4b_021 Fertility Assessment US by RAB Four
- OBGYN viva 1 by Jessica Monkhorst
- GK - O&G - Gynae - Ovary & adenexa by GLK
- 18/03/2022 by Joshua Yip
- O&G Viva 1 by Milo MacBain ◈
- OG cases by Emily LI
- GYN Cases by Maheen Khan
- Gynecology by abdallah abu younes
- obs/gynae by kevin were wanambiro
- GUT by Dr Angel Mthalane
- Ovary 2 by Mohamed shweel ◉