Portal vein thrombosis
Post-splenectomy, For Doppler study to the portal and splenic veins assessment.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
There is slightly echogenic thrombus seen in B mode and filling a defect in the color-coded map and absent pulsed wave on spectral Doppler is noted in the anterior aspect of the main portal vein in keeping with partial thrombosis of the main portal vein.
The left and right main portal vein branches are fall color saturation with no evidence of thrombosis.
The remaining remnant of visualized splenic vein at its confluence with the superior mesenteric vein showing expansion and with an isoechoic to hypoechoic total thrombosis.
No evidence of sizeable free ascites or localized collection in the scanned abdomen.
A case of non-Hodgkin lymphoma with splenomegaly and splenectomy was done 1 week ago, the patient developed desaturation with rising D-Dimer and venous Doppler of both lower limbs are negative for DVT as well as CT PA was negative pulmonary embolism. The treating team requested a portal venous Doppler assessment which showed partial portal vein thrombosis.
- Sacerdoti D, Serianni G, Gaiani S, Bolognesi M, Bombonato G, Gatta A. Thrombosis of the portal venous system. Journal of ultrasound. 10 (1): 12-21. doi:10.1016/j.jus.2007.02.007 - Pubmed
- Machado, Márcio Martins, Rosa, Ana Cláudia Ferreira, Mota, Orlando Milhomem da, Cardoso, Daniela Medeiros Milhomem, Milhomem, Patrícia Medeiros, Milhomem, Leonardo Medeiros, Nunes, Rodrigo Alvarenga, Teles, Thaís Bittencourt Gonçalves, Teles, Flávio Bittencourt Gonçalves, Azeredo, Letícia Martins, Barros, Nestor de, Cerri, Giovanni Guido. Ultrasonographic features of portal vein thrombosis. Radiologia Brasileira. 39 (2): 151. doi:10.1590/S0100-39842006000200015
- Annalisa Berzigotti, Ángeles García-Criado, Anna Darnell, Juan-Carlos García-Pagán. Imaging in clinical decision-making for portal vein thrombosis. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 11 (5): 308. doi:doi:10.1038/nrgastro.2013.258
- Piscaglia F, Gianstefani A, Ravaioli M, Golfieri R, Cappelli A, Giampalma E, Sagrini E, Imbriaco G, Pinna AD, Bolondi L. Criteria for diagnosing benign portal vein thrombosis in the assessment of patients with cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma for liver transplantation. Liver transplantation : official publication of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the International Liver Transplantation Society. 16 (5): 658-67. doi:10.1002/lt.22044 - Pubmed
- Margini C, Berzigotti A. Portal vein thrombosis: The role of imaging in the clinical setting. Digestive and liver disease : official journal of the Italian Society of Gastroenterology and the Italian Association for the Study of the Liver. 49 (2): 113-120. doi:10.1016/j.dld.2016.11.013 - Pubmed