Prevertebral soft tissue swelling - retropharyngeal abscess
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Henry Knipe had no recorded disclosures.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Had foreign body in throat, took it out but now has pain and dysphagia.
Lateral projection covering C1-C4. There is prevertebral soft tissue swelling with calcification projecting in this region. The patient appears edentulous with bilateral mandibular internal fixation.
The patient proceeded to CT and theater, both demonstrating retropharyngeal abscess. The amorphous calcification demonstrated projecting over the prevertebral soft tissues was incidental carotid bulb calcification.
9 public playlists include this case
- Boards Part 4 radiology review by Juliet Murray
- Part 4 Boards - Rad by C. Rokowski
- VGHTC10501 by shaun hsiao
- Radiographie du rachis by Charles Bélanger
- Emergency and Critical Care by Sachi Hapugoda
- Airway + C spine by Isaac Lui
- Neuro + spine by Michael Gonzalez Soto
- Mod 10 by Talia LaForest
- Soft tissue Neck X-Ray by Ahmed Mohamed Mohamed Eid Ali