Citation, DOI & case data
Right flank pain.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Pre and post-contrast CT through the kidneys demonstrates a large fatty mass arising from the lateral aspect of the right kidney. There is a very prominent vessel centrally associated with central areas of soft tissue attenuation, some of which enhance, but other areas do not. These presumably represent areas of hemorrhage.
4 case questions available
This patient went on to have a right partial wedge nephrectomy.
MACROSCOPIC APPEARANCE: Specimen consists of a wedge of kidney measuring 5.5 X 4 X 2.5 cm that came with a soft fatty nodule bulging on its surface, measuring 13 X 9.5 X 8 cm, weighing in total 430 g. The external capsule is smooth and shows tan-purple hemorrhage. Cross-section of the nodule shows yellowish fatty tissues with focal hemorrhage that is surrounded by a well-defined capsule. The tumor partially replaces the renal parenchyma and extends into the peri-renal fat.
MICROSCOPY: It has typical features of angiomyolipoma with smooth muscle spindle cells, at times with an altered ovoid morphology, admixed and blending with thick-walled blood vessels and tumor adipose tissue. Occasional compact sheets of the smooth muscle mesenchymal component are present, with degenerative nuclear atypia. There is no significant mitotic activity and no evidence of malignant transformation.
- angiomyolipoma of the kidney.
- tumor size = 13cm.
- acute hemorrhage within tumor.
This case demonstrates typical appearances of a large angiomyolipoma. Best seen on the post-contrast images is a very large vessel which accounts for this tumor's predilection for spontaneous hemorrhage.
16 public playlists include this case
- WART ONLINE TEACHING_RENAL by Nathalie Falkner
- Urogenital (iOS pack) by Assoc Prof Frank Gaillard ◉ ◈
- Abdomen by JR
- 1/12/16 Uro Images by Maxim J McKibben
- uro by Ulrike Bartosch
- renal by nour
- 2b GUT by Dr Ali Labeeb Alwan
- FRANZCR 03 Abdo by Dr. AMIRSALEH JAFARI
- ct abdomen by Dr Pallavi Kamat
- GUT by Dr. Khush Bakht
- GK - Abdo - GUT - Kidney and ureter by GLK
- WDHB - Abdomen by Pieter Wood
- Imanabdo (part 2) by Iman Fani
- GU by Alex Feeney
- Body by Dr Thomas M. Anderson ◉
- VC PART II GIT GU by Dr Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento