Ruptured aneurysm of the left common iliac artery
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Jens Christian Fischer had no recorded disclosures.View Jens Christian Fischer's current disclosures
Sudden onset abdominal pain, hypotension and tachycardia.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Contrast-enhanced 4-slice CT scan of the whole aorta (only the abdominal slices are shown) in the arterial phase and subsequent scan of the abdomen 2 min. post administration of i.v. contrast.
The main finding of the arterial phase is a ruptured aneurysm of the left common iliac artery which extends into the external iliac artery. It has a maximum diameter of 10 cm and extends over a length of 14 cm. Active extravasation of contrast-enhanced blood can be seen into the large retroperitoneal hematoma.
The subsequent scan reveals massive continuing bleeding and with a notable increase of the size of the retroperitoneal hematoma which now also involves the contralateral retroperitoneum and measures about 20 x 10 x 26 cm.
This case demonstrates typical appearances of massive retroperitoneal hemorrhage from an uncommon cause: an isolated common iliac artery aneurysm - most patients would also have an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
The patient underwent emergent surgical intervention with the successful replacement of the iliac artery and eventual recovery. Most patients with ruptured aneurysms would not be so lucky.
1 article features images from this case
22 public playlists include this case
- Prüfung Cv by Lisa Ruby
- VASCULAR by Gaurav Gupta
- VASCULAR by dr quratulain
- Retroperitoneum by Jayraj Singh Bhatti
- Candidate 1 by Maha Elaassar
- ED by Monica Johnson ◉
- ER (part 2) by Taimur
- Emergency by Maha Elaassar
- Vas-3 by tuanleminh ◉
- RADIO EXAM 2 by edioardo bonamano
- 一MBChB 5th year Abdo (masses) by Jeremy Jones ◉
- Imanabdo (part 3) by Iman Fani
- naczyniówks by Piotr Tarkowski
- Abdominal pain cases (CT and x-ray) by Andrew Dixon ◉
- Retroperitoneal pathology by Wasif Mohammed
- 2023_EM전문의_복부 by Dayeon Lee
- Resident Session 5/22/13 by Hector Rivera-Melo
- Vas-2 by tuanleminh ◉
- V1 by Mehak un nisa parvez akhtar raja
- Soumya June 22 by Soumya Regi
- Retroperitoneal 2 by Mohamed shweel ◉
- GU 9 - Retroperitoneal Lesions by Praveen Samarawickrama