Citation, DOI & case data
Patient reports the application of industrial silicone in breasts 20 years ago.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Breasts with the parenchyma almost all occupied by nodules of varied sizes and high density, some with peripheral calcifications, suggestive of siliconomas (according to the patient's clinical history).
1 case question available
Fortunately, an increasingly rare practice, injecting industrial silicone into parts of the body, such as lips and buttocks for aesthetic purposes, was a common practice in certain parts of the world, such as South America and Asia. Injection of liquid silicone into the breasts, in particular, is catastrophic, since the screening of neoplasias is lost, because the current imaging methods have very low sensitivity for the detection of pathologies in these specific cases.
Case contributed by: Dra. Lenilza Lucena and Dra. Marcia Dantas.
- 1. Ana Sánchez‐Ponte, Elena Martí, Juan Rubio, Teresa Montes, Carlos Yanguas, Francesc Sant, Pere Culell. Illegal Injection of Industrial Silicone Oil for Breast Augmentation: Risks, Solutions and Results. (2012) The Breast Journal. 18 (2): 174. doi:10.1111/j.1524-4741.2011.01212.x - Pubmed
- 2. Zimmermmann JB, Duarte AMBDR, Silva AC, Batalha SH, Silva CS, Zimmermmann SG. Complications of Use of Injected Liquid Silicone in Breast: A Case Report. (2018) General Medicine: Open Access. 6 (2): 1. doi:10.4172/2327-5146.1000316
1 article features images from this case
15 public playlists include this case
- Breast by Dr Abdullah Hajar
- Breast by Shuyi Guo
- FRANZCR 06B Breast by Dr. AMIRSALEH JAFARI
- radiopedia playlist-R.J.yadav by Dr. R. J. Yadav
- HD&GL7 by Hng Dng
- JL Breast by Dr Jacqueline Lubomski
- Aunt Minnies - Breast by Dr Michael Stewart ◈
- Breast by Michael Truong
- Set 8 by Bayartsengel Delgersaikhan
- Breast VIVA by Lucy Blumer
- Mammo by Daniel Eric Wingard
- VIVA - Breast - Set I by Dr Corey Thompson
- wednesday 11/08 by Dr Wasif Mohammed
- Breast by Dr. Kenneth Kwok
- CASOS MAMO 2020 by diego farfan