Small bowel obstruction

Case contributed by Mohammadtaghi Niknejad


Abdominal pain, progressive distension and vomiting.

Patient Data

Age: 60 years
Gender: Male

Dilated small bowel loops with multiple air-fluid levels consistent with obstruction.

Case Discussion

Small bowel obstruction (SBO) accounts for 80% of all mechanical intestinal obstruction, the remaining 20% results from a large bowel obstruction. It has a mortality rate of ~5%.

How to use cases

You can use Radiopaedia cases in a variety of ways to help you learn and teach.

Creating your own cases is easy.

Updating… Please wait.

 Unable to process the form. Check for errors and try again.

 Thank you for updating your details.