Citation, DOI & case data
Abnormal behavior, nystagmus and truncal ataxia.
MRI Brain (single image)
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The single axial T2-weighted MR image demonstrates reduced signal in the thalami, and increased signal in the posterior limbs of the internal capsules. Cortical grey-white differentiation is reduced. Other images (not shown) showed increased signal elsewhere in the corticospinal tracts, in the middle cerebellar peduncles and in the pontine crossing fibers. The dentate nuclei are of low signal.
This case illustrates MR changes consistent with heavy solvent abuse, of which the patient has a long history.
MR changes in toluene abuse by inhalation have been described and include: white matter lesions (focal and diffuse), cerebral atrophy, and thalamic hypointensity. The mechanism of thalamic hypointensity may be iron deposition and axonal loss.
Case credit: Dr Laughlin Dawes, Dr Constantine Phatouros
- 1. Aydin K, Sencer S, Demir T et-al. Cranial MR findings in chronic toluene abuse by inhalation. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2002;23 (7): 1173-9. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Autti T, Joensuu R, Aberg L. Decreased T2 signal in the thalami may be a sign of lysosomal storage disease. Neuroradiology. 2007;49 (7): 571-8. doi:10.1007/s00234-007-0220-6 - Pubmed citation
1 article features images from this case
12 public playlists include this case
- Toxic and metabolic CNS diseases by Seb Belfrage ◉
- MR23 by tuanleminh ◉
- Intersting cases 2 by Dalia Ibrahim ◉
- brain - toxic and metabolic disorders by Daniela Riedl
- Primer - Neuroradiology - Degenerative and White Matter Disease by Aman
- Schwierige Fälle by Stephan Ellmann
- 06022021 FRCR Viva by Anil Geetha Virupakshappa
- Toxic and Metabolic Brain Disorders by Ahmad Khedr
- MRT Hirn by Stephan Ellmann
- metabolic brain by Ruilin Raelene Jin ◈
- NEURO - toxico e metabolico by americomota
- Casos 7 - Neuroradiología by Diana Carolina García García