Spinal dural arteriovenous fistula
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Anar Kazimov had no recorded disclosures.View Anar Kazimov's current disclosures
Low back pain, lame. Numbness in lower extremities. The patient feels progression in symptoms in last 2 years.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Expansion and T2 hyperintensity of the lower thoracic and lumbar spinal cord. Prominent T2 signal voids within the thecal sac.
Spinal dural arteriovenous fistulae (SDAVF) are rare but are still the most common type of spinal vascular malformation. Veins are low pressure and low flow structures, so when a fistula forms blood from an artery under a high pressure goes directly into a vein causing venous hypertension and congestion of the cord with edema resulting in cord expansion and T2 hyperintensity. The etiology is unknown. The best sequence to depict the extent of SDAVFs without using intravenous contrast agent is gradient-echo 3D ciss (constructive interference in steady state) sequences.
- Hingwala D, Chatterjee S, Kesavadas C, Thomas B, Kapilamoorthy TR. Applications of 3D CISS sequence for problem solving in neuroimaging. The Indian journal of radiology & imaging. 21 (2): 90-7. doi:10.4103/0971-3026.82283 - Pubmed
- Spinal Dural Arteriovenous Fistula (SDAVF). (n.d.). Retrieved November 16, 2016, from http://www.med.nyu.edu/radiology/about-us/subspecialties/neuro-interventional/our-services/spinal-dural-arteriovenous-fistula
1 article features images from this case
19 public playlists include this case
- VC CNS H N S PART II by Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- Spinal neoplasms by Timothy Jeffery
- MR17 by tuanleminh ◉
- Spinal tumours by Scott Robson
- More head and neck + spine by Sean Sweeney-Knapp
- rayya spine 2b by RAYYA WAEL MUSA NAFFA'
- Neuro viva by Rebekah Lee
- Intervention/ Gefäße by Ulrike Bartosch
- review by Hyunseung Koh
- neuro by Himanshu Pendse
- osteomyelitis by Nguyen Duy Hung ◉
- YJL 2B Spine by YJ Lee
- Neuro - Adult Clinical Conditions - Spine by Charlie Handley
- 3 by Lech Gradziński
- NeuroImaging 4 - Skull, Spinal cord and Cranial Nerves by Joel Lim
- 3 by Lech Gradziński
- ISODOPE - SPINE by Hannah Woodford
- Spine by Frank Dorrian
- Spine by Ismail Sayed Ismail