Spinal lymphoma - L5
Citation, DOI and case data
Urinary retention and leg pain
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
MRI of the lumbar spine demonstrates soft tissue intensity material replacing the normal bone marrow signal of the L5 vertebral body (both body and posterior elements) with extension of this soft tissue mass into the canal resulting in significant cauda equina compression.
Following administration of contrast the mass enhances uniformly.
The appearances favor lymphoma with a differential including metastatic disease or primary sarcoma of the bone, although both are thought unlikely due to the preservation of the bony outlines.
The patient went on to have a biopsy.
Sections show multiple small cores of highly cellular tumor with a significant degree of crush artefact. The cells appear to be a mixture of atypical cells with large pleomorphic nuclei as well as some chronic inflammatory cells. No specific architectural pattern is identified. Immunohistochemistry shows the majority of cells to express the B-cell marker CD20, while CD3 identifies a lesser population of small reactive appearing T lymphocytes. There is no staining for cytokeratin or S100 protein. The quality of the immunostaining for kappa and lambda light chains is poor however there is no obvious difference in the degree of positivity. MIB-1 demonstrates very high proliferative activity.
Final diagnosis: high-grade B cell lymphoma
28 public playlist include this case
- Survival Guide by Dr Mohamed Morsi
- MSK Tumours by Cary MacMillan
- PL1 by tuanleminh
- T2 Dark Bone by Tim
- Spine by Dr Georgia Yeo ◉
- spine and vertebra pathologies by Dr Sharbell Hashoul
- mri by Rod
- MSK - Non-Trauma - Osseous Tumours - Marrow Forming by Aman
- PL1 by tuanleminh
- Part 2 Spine Neuro by Dr Hao Xiang
- Bone tumors by E
- Maria FAP1 by Libbert
- Malignant bone lesions by Dr Kosala salinda herath(H.P.K.S HERATH)
- EXAM CASES (part 3) by Steven Dolan
- Haematological diseases by Dr Akeel Akeel
- Lymphoma by Taimur
- 2차시험 정형 by JinHo Kwon
- My interested cases by Dr.Marwa Adel Mahdi
- sp5 by dr [email protected]
- picked cases by Dr Abdullah Al-Khaldi
- SPINE TUMORS by Deyan P. Ivanov
- Osteo by Dra Johana Rosinger
- 02 Marrow tumors training playlist by Christopher P Petrie
- MSK - Adult Clinical Conditions - Bone Lesions by Dr Charlie Handley
- EMERGENCIES FFR 2B by hannah fleming
- msk1 by Phạm Thị Thùy Linh
- Bone by Dr Yasser shalabi
- Spine by Dr.med. Sophie Winkler