Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Julian Maingard had no recorded disclosures.View Julian Maingard's current disclosures
Sudden sharp left upper quadrant abdominal pain. Known history of myelofibrosis.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
This spleen is markedly enlarged and has a craniocaudal dimension of 28 cm. The liver has a craniocaudal dimension of approximately 26 cm. There are several areas of low attenuation present within the spleen, the largest of which is inferolateral and anteriorly located. It is approximately 4 cm in size on axial imaging. The spleen otherwise shows no definite abnormality. The pancreas and kidneys have a normal appearance. There aorta is of normal caliber. Some pelvic fluid is shown.
1 case question available
This case demonstrates hepatosplenomegaly with splenic infarction.
Myelofibrosis is a clonal stem cell disorder characterized by splenomegaly, chronic myeloproliferation, bone marrow infiltration, and extramedullary hematopoiesis (EMH) 1. It commonly presents with anemia, palpable splenomegaly, and constitutional symptoms. Hepatosplenomegaly is a complication of significant extramedullary hematopoiesis 2. Hepatomegaly and splenomegaly are seen in up to 40-70% and 90% of patients respectively 3.
Splenic infarction in myelofibrosis results from a combination of infiltration of the splenic parenchyma in EMH, anemia and increased oxygen requirements of an enlarged spleen.
- 1. Randhawa J, Ostojic A, Vrhovac R, Atallah E, Verstovsek S. Splenomegaly in myelofibrosis--new options for therapy and the therapeutic potential of Janus kinase 2 inhibitors. J Hematol Oncol. 2012 Aug 1;5:43. doi: 10.1186/1756-8722-5-43.
- 2. Abdel-Wahab OI, Levine RL. Primary myelofibrosis: update on definition, pathogenesis, and treatment. Annu Rev Med. 2009;60:233-45. doi: 10.1146/annurev.med.60.041707.160528
- 3. Murakami J, Shimizu Y. Hepatic Manifestations in Hematological Disorders. Int J Hepatol. 2013;2013:484903. doi: 10.1155/2013/484903. Epub 2013 Mar 31
4 articles feature images from this case
10 public playlists include this case
- Gastrointestinal by Miguel
- Haematological diseases by Akeel
- VC PART II MSK by Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- Manzoor-Rad Mixed (part 1) by Manzoor Ahmad
- GK - Abdo - Spleen by GLK
- MSK by Arthur Daire
- Abdomen boards cases by Savannah Shortz
- Manzoor-Rad MSK by Manzoor Ahmad
- GK - Viva - Abdo by GLK
- Abdo - spleen by David Serich