Superior mediastinal abscess
Citation, DOI and case data
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The superior mediastinal collection has reaccumulated since the prior CXR from 4 years prior. This measures up to 8.5 cm transversely, has an air fluid level superiorly and displaces the trachea to the right with mild lateral flattening. This lies in the same location as the initial CXR though is larger. No free pneumomediastinum or gas tracking into the base of neck. Heart size is normal. Lungs and pleural spaces are clear. No pneumothorax or pleural fluid collection.
Findings are consistent with recurrence of para-esophageal abscess.
Abscess drained surgically.
1 article features images from this case
11 public playlist include this case
- Chest practice by Dr Davina Bates
- pulmonary infection by Hamze Shaty
- Chest by Taimur
- Intern Radiology - CT chest by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Radiología del Mediastino normal y patológico by Dra. Silvana F Ciardullo
- Chest by Dr Sadaf jabeen
- Chest by Afonso Carvalho Silva
- kejsy 2 by Lech Gradziński
- ER (part 1) by Taimur
- CXR by Dr. Kenneth Kwok
- Ashank 30.3.2016 by Chinthaka Appuhamy